Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL Petroleum Engineering

Louisiana UL Petroleum Engineering

Hello Ragin Cajuns. I'm new here but I'm applying to becoming a Cajun for graduate school in the petroleum engineering department. I have my undergrad in PE from a nearby university but I'm looking to get my master's.

Does anybody know anyone who got their master's, or even undergrad for that matter, in PE at UL, and where they are working? Also do yall know what companies usually recruit from the department? I talked to a dept. professor and he only mentioned 4 companies that recruit petroleum engineers here, which didn't sound too promising to me, but I figured yall might know better.

Thanks in advance. Geaux Cajuns!

Default Re: UL Petroleum Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by VikingDude View Post
    Hello Ragin Cajuns. I'm new here but I'm applying to becoming a Cajun for graduate school in the petroleum engineering department. I have my undergrad in PE from a nearby university but I'm looking to get my master's.

Does anybody know anyone who got their master's, or even undergrad for that matter, in PE at UL, and where they are working? Also do yall know what companies usually recruit from the department? I talked to a dept. professor and he only mentioned 4 companies that recruit petroleum engineers here, which didn't sound too promising to me, but I figured yall might know better.

Thanks in advance. Geaux Cajuns!
    As someone who works in the industry I can assure you more than four companies hire UL PE grads; just like every other engineering program at UL. I know because I'm responsible for recruiting some of the engineering departments (not PE) and they are all in pretty high demand.

Might want to contact http://engineering.louisiana.edu/Zappi-Mark-bio.shtml
    to get the best picture.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to contact him. I'm trying to get a good idea of what oil companies (operators) recruit from campus but it's hard to find any information. The professor I spoke with wasn't a whole lot of help either.

I can tell you as a recent PE grad at UL that the final few years in finding internship/job through UL, they really didnt have the most promising opportunities. It really all stemmed from our ____ty PE head that didnt care about his students finding jobs so only service companies came to recruit, but now that he's gone and Dr. Boukadi, new fantastic PE head, is in control, he started to get more operators (BP and Exxon) to come recruit during my last semester because he actually gives a crap about his students. I'm pretty positive he will start to bring in more Nat Gas companies i.e. Chesapeak, Anadarko, etc. to come recruit since we're in a big Nat Gas state.

I personally am working for a Dir. Drilling company right now to gain experience but always looking for operator jobs.

I will say one thing though, that UL's PE master's program is far and above better than anyone elses in the state.

Definitely get in touch with Dr. Boukadi (pronounced Boo-Kah-dee) and he will guide you in the right direction, promise thomas

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post
    I can tell you as a recent PE grad at UL that the final few years in finding internship/job through UL, they really didnt have the most promising opportunities. It really all stemmed from our ____ty PE head that didnt care about his students finding jobs so only service companies came to recruit, but now that he's gone and Dr. Boukadi, new fantastic PE head, is in control, he started to get more operators (BP and Exxon) to come recruit during my last semester because he actually gives a crap about his students. I'm pretty positive he will start to bring in more Nat Gas companies i.e. Chesapeak, Anadarko, etc. to come recruit since we're in a big Nat Gas state.

I personally am working for a Dir. Drilling company right now to gain experience but always looking for operator jobs.

I will say one thing though, that UL's PE master's program is far and above better than anyone elses in the state.

Definitely get in touch with Dr. Boukadi (pronounced Boo-Kah-dee) and he will guide you in the right direction, promise thomas
    UL Petroleum Engineering is a focus for Chevron and Marathon.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan337 View Post

Thanks a lot for the advice man. I'm glad there's a new head, and I'll meet with him. I talked to Dr. G when I visited the department but he was very lackadaisical. I'm in the same boat as you. I've been working as an LWD for the past 2 years almost and I'm trying to get with an operator. The field is wearing me down, and I think I could make some great career leaps by going to grad school for a year and a half.

Even if there aren't a lot of operators who recruit, I can still apply online to tons.

When did you graduate Cajunsfan, and did other people in your class end up working for operators?

Networking among UL alumi groups is your best bet to land the job you want with the right company.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Lol I wish they could focus on my ___ right now. Marathon would be unbelievable to work for. But yeh Viking, this whole MWD/LWD thing is getting a little old. Especially since Im about to get married soon, Id love to come home every night to my beautiful wife. Rigzone.com has given me a few bites in the interview department for operators, but in the end they just wanted someone with a little more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    My buddy got an internship lined up this summer with Marathon and from what I'm hearing they aren't afraid to throw money at PEs

You may also want to contact DR Mark Zappi - Dean of Engineering! Good Guy!! 504-482-1000

11. Default Re: UL Petroleum Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    You may also want to contact DR Mark Zappi - Dean of Engineering! Good Guy!! 504-482-1000
    Is that his cell phone number?

I have done some safety work for Chevron I can tell you first hand they have alot of UL alum that are engineers there.

13. Default Re: UL Petroleum Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    ----------Zap with a 504 area code????

RedCajun's Avatar RedCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    337-482-1000 is the universities general information line

15. Default Re: UL Petroleum Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    That's why I was asking if that was his cell number or what, lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information