Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Softball RPI is out .

1. UL Softball Softball RPI is out .

Cajuns are at #7 (both Adjusted RPI and Base RPI).

Cajuns have (10) RPI bonus games .

(Base RPI in parentheses)

(5) Arizona State
    (22) Michigan
    (29) Troy
    (30) Boston
    (36) Mississippi State
    (38) Georgia Tech (2 games)
    (49) Northwestern

McNeese State was just outside the bonus range at #52. Kentucky has a Base RPI of #58. Fresno State is at #79.

Brian

2. UL Softball Re: Softball RPI is out .

Thanks for the update.

Default Re: Softball RPI is out .

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post

Brian
    http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softbal.s_softball_rpi

7th is huuuuge!

5. Default Re: Softball RPI is out .

Keep in mind that this is the Adjusted RPI report. You cannot use this report to determine RPI bonuses/penalties.

The Cajuns' Adjusted RPI is .6654 (Good for a #7 rank). Louisville is #6 at .6777. Texas is #8 at .66146.

The Cajuns are 2-0 vs. Base RPI Top 25 and 10-1 vs. Base RPI Top 50.

The Cajuns have a non-conference RPI rank of 5.

The Sun Belt has an Adjusted RPI rank of 6.

Brian

Cajuns have (10) RPI bonus games .

(Base RPI in parentheses)

(5) Arizona State
    (22) Michigan
    (29) Troy
    (30) Boston
    (36) Mississippi State
    (38) Georgia Tech (2 games)
    (49) Northwestern

McNeese State was just outside the bonus range at #52. Kentucky has a Base RPI of #58. Fresno State is at #79.

Brian
    Can you explain how Louisville is so high? Their schedule isn't impressive

Sooooo the question becomes. if the Cajuns keep winning at this pace, or slip in a couple more, what are the chances they keep a top-8 national seed in order to have a good shot to host a regional and super? I would imagine they can't lose any more than one more game. Am I asking for too much? Is that a rhetorical question?

8. Default Re: Softball RPI is out .

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    Sooooo the question becomes. if the Cajuns keep winning at this pace, or slip in a couple more, what are the chances they keep a top-8 national seed in order to have a good shot to host a regional and super? I would imagine they can't lose any more than one more game. Am I asking for too much? Is that a rhetorical question?
    Thinking to be a top 8 seed, no more loses, and today Coach Lotief said he fully expects not to go undefeated the balance of the season. We need all these teams to keep winning, especially McNutt U, Tulsa, Troy anyone we played in the past. Some of these teams in the Sun Belt are awful, not all but some.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Thinking to be a top 8 seed, no more loses, and today Coach Lotief said he fully expects not to go undefeated the balance of the season. We need all these teams to keep winning, especially McNutt U, Tulsa, Troy anyone we played in the past. Some of these teams in the Sun Belt are awful, not all but some.
    Kinda what I was thinking. We have no more high-rpi teams on the schedule, so I would guess we have to just hope for the OOWP or whatever it is of the teams we have played to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    I would guess a lot has to do with the 1.000 in their WP column that helps a lot. Idk how their OWP looks but it can't be terrible

11. Default Re: Softball RPI is out .

Quote Originally Posted by ulforlife View Post
    Louisville has an OWP rank of 67 (vs. #79 for the Cajuns) and an OOWP rank of 7 (vs. #18 for the Cajuns). So, in terms of the RPI, Louisville has played a slightly stronger schedule.

Now, the Cajuns have played one more elite opponent . but both schools have played a similar # of Top 50 RPI opponents (11 for Louisiana vs. 10 for Louisville) and Louisville has played one more Top 100 opponent.

But as we know, 50% of the formula is about opponent W-L (WP). Louisville bests Louisiana in all three categories (WP, OWP, and OOWP).

Finally, both schools have ten RPI bonus wins, but the Cajuns have a slightly higher bonus number as they have two wins vs. the Base RPI Top 25 vs. 1 for Louisville.

(Adjusted RPI in parentheses)
    #1 Alabama (.7000)
    #2 Florida (.6879)
    #3 California (.6878)
    #4 Tennessee (.6845)
    #5 Arizona State (.6790)
    #6 Louisville (.6777)
    #7 Louisiana (.6654)
    #8 Texas (.6615)
    #9 Washington (.6613)
    #10 Oregon (.6561)

Brian

12. UL Softball Re: Softball RPI is out .

You cannot answer that as you do not know what your opponents are going to do the remainder of the way (the most significant part of the RPI formula) and you do not know how your opponents' opponents are going to perform (just as important as your own WP). All you can control is your WP.

Now, I will say (and sent this to Coach Mike) .

The Cajuns' Non-Conference RPI at #5 is very key when selection time arrives (Non-Conference RPI rank at selection time last year was #55). If the Cajuns can hold it in the Top 10, this will be one key in landing a regional host site and potentially a Top 8 seed (and potential Super-regional host site). In my opinion, it is very important to remain undefeated in non-conference. The reason being that the Cajuns' Non-Conference winning percentage (WP) can only go down. 1.0000 is perfect. Another win does not help the WP component of the Cajuns' Non-Conference RPI. The Cajuns' OWP can he helped (both Non-Conference and Overall) by only scheduling non-conference opponents with good W-L records. But you want to be careful not to introduce any additional non-conference games that will hurt your Non-Conference OWP (bad opponent W-L records). And as stated above, the Cajuns must emphasize not losing any remaining non-conference games (McNeese State plus any others they might consider adding). It would be far more preferable to drop a conference game than a non-conference game.

Brian

13. Default Re: Softball RPI is out .

Kinda what I was thinking. We have no more high-rpi teams on the schedule, so I would guess we have to just hope for the OOWP or whatever it is of the teams we have played to go up.
    You need to quit thinking about "High RPI" teams and think about opponents with good W-L records. The two are not necessarily the same. As an example, playing #52 McNeese State (next week's midweek game) is better (from an RPI standpoint) than playing #21 DePaul, along with several others in the Top 35 (Georgia Tech included at present).

Brian

You cannot answer that as you do not know what your opponents are going to do the remainder of the way (the most significant part of the RPI formula) and you do not know how your opponents' opponents are going to perform (just as important as your own WP). All you can control is your WP.

Now, I will say (and sent this to Coach Mike) .

The Cajuns' Non-Conference RPI at #5 is very key when selection time arrives (Non-Conference RPI rank at selection time last year was #55). If the Cajuns can hold it in the Top 10, this will be one key in landing a regional host site and potentially a Top 8 seed (and potential Super-regional host site). In my opinion, it is very important to remain undefeated in non-conference. The reason being that the Cajuns' Non-Conference winning percentage (WP) can only go down. 1.0000 is perfect. Another win does not help the WP component of the Cajuns' Non-Conference RPI. The Cajuns' OWP can he helped (both Non-Conference and Overall) by only scheduling non-conference opponents with good W-L records. But you want to be careful not to introduce any additional non-conference games that will hurt your Non-Conference OWP (bad opponent W-L records). And as stated above, the Cajuns must emphasize not losing any remaining non-conference games (McNeese State plus any others they might consider adding). It would be far more preferable to drop a conference game than a non-conference game.

Brian
    Brian, I had mentioned this before years ago discussing RPI with you that in the long run winning non-conference games (not including bonus games) helps your overall RPI more so than winning conference games. You can also say that you would rather lose conference games instead of non-conference games when looking at RPI only. At the end of the year every conference goes .500 within their conference games so it is the non-conference wins that more effect your RPI and especially your conference's RPI. This is why I used to get so upset when it seemed that Tony Robicheaux used to not put as much effort in mid week non conference games as it seemed he always geared his team for the weekend and losing all the non conference games would kill our RPI.

You need to be in charge of making the schedules for both baseball teams.
    Would you be interested in that job?

Very important for softball coaching staff to be very mindful of all the implications of adding the wrong non-conference game into the season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information