Thread: Bulldogs to Ragin' Cajuns?

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Bulldogs to Ragin' Cajuns?

When did this officially take place? All I have ever heard was in the 1970's, but what year?

In the Summer of 1974. I remember the announcement on Channel 10. "Ragin' Cajuns" was used informally since the 60s, as much or more than Bulldogs. The official nickname had been Bulldogs since 1922.

It was also that Summer that we upgraded from Division II to Division I (there was no 1-A/1-AA split until 1982).

The 1973 team finished 0-10, and they started the 1974 season with a new coach, AD, maroon (or Cardinal Red) uniforms, Division I status, and an Operation Turnaround campaign. It culminated in a 9-2 record in 1976, which in my opinion was the most exciting season in Cajun football history.

3. Default

Originally posted by California Cajun
    In the Summer of 1974. I remember the announcement on Channel 10. "Ragin' Cajuns" was used informally since the 60s, as much or more than Bulldogs. . .
    The picture below agrees with you.

It is from 1966 and instead of Ragin' it was-at first-"Raging Cajuns"

It coexisted with Bulldogs.

What is that picture from, Turb?

5. Default

Originally posted by CDeb
    What is that picture from, Turb?
    It is from the team photo of the 1966 football team. It was taken at McNaspy Stadium.

I alomost thought the "Raging" could have been a painting typo similar to the Snickers candy bar commercial where the painter paints "CHEFS" for the "CHIEFS". I say this because "Ragin' Cajuns" (not Raging) was used extensivly (with victories) in 1965 printed matter.

The "Raging Cajuns" sign may also have been up in 1965, I just haven't found proof.

"Raging Cajuns" was not yet up in 1964. I know this because there is a picture of Bob Henderson then SID with the 1964 football schedule and at that point in time the wall to the press box is blank.

Very interesting info. When was the last bulldog logo & actual bulldog (not the later revived one in the early 90's) used. Mid 70's?

I can answer that one. 1973, my first semester, they trotted a white bulldog out with the team. That was the last year, because "Bulldogs" was dropped before the next season. I don't know if they still called him "Gee," but they began doing that, I think, in the 1940s after George "Gee" Mitchell.

Help me with this one Turbine. I looked this stuff up close to 30 years ago when they had this room in the student union with all of the old yearbooks.

Of course, the revival bulldog in the early 90s was a combination red and white in color. The first one died at age 5 or 6 and I believe they came up with another one, but after one season he was gone. I didn't like the bulldog charactature with the collar and fleur de lis tag around his neck, because it looked like a religious medal and he looked pious liked he was sitting in church. I wanted a fierce dog ready to go to war!

I must say, the "Raging Cajuns" and the bulldog face on the pressbox at McNaspy didn't look very professional, does it?

Great info Cali and Turbine. Keep it coming.

Thanks for the info Cali.

11. Default

USL MEDIA GUIDE
    RAGIN' CAJUNS

USL has one of the most unique nicknames in college sports Ragin' Cajuns. Formerly called the Bulldogs, USL football teams were coined the Ragin' Cajuns in 1963, shortly after Russ Faulkinberry was named head football coach, by then Sports Information Director Bob Henderson. It resulted from the fact that at the time more than 90 per cent of Faulkinberry's teams were composed of Louisiana high school players, many with French-speaking, Acadiana backgrounds. The nickname stuck and now all USL athletic teams are called the Ragin' Cajuns.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Bulldogs to Ragin' Cajuns

Local humorist and 1936 grad Sid Ory says he originated the term "Ragin' Cajuns" in 1961. He had an irate customer at his insurance business and Sid responded, "Boy, you're a RAGIN' Cajun!"

Louisiana

Since I went there 66 thru 68 and 70 thru 73, not an expert but we did use both more Battling Bulldogs than Cajuns. Will dig out programs yearbooks and Verms and try to scan and post for everyone in the next few weeks.

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998)

Pulled out couple of yearbooks. 68 we were still calling ourselves Battling Bulldogs. In 70 year boook, Cajuns and Ragin Cajuns. Will continue to pull stuff out of storage and verify. Remember I was gone from Jan 68 to Man 70, seems like a lot happen in that two years.

Thanks Trigger

Thread Information