Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: End of the road: UL falls to Rice in CollegeInsider.com tournament

Default Re: End of the road: UL falls to Rice in CollegeInsider.com tournament

Maybe we should put mirrors all along on the walls behind the goals, that shouldn't make things easier and can't hurt!!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    That's because it's NOT "our" (as in UL's) facility.
    But it is, with management rights relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    But it is, with management rights relegated.
    false, city owns the building, univ owns the land

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dms4720 View Post
    false, city owns the building, univ owns the land
    I disagree.

UL owns the land and the Cajun Dome. The City operates it and has all the rights because they agreed to provide an operating subsidy. I think it is currently a half a million dollars a year.

In the relinquishment of rights, UL gets so many days of use a year for free. . . .

Not enough if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The basketball portion of the UL IPF was built shorter than a regulation bakstetball court. The court had to be cut so as to fit, making the walls (the backdrop) closer to the free throw line than they could ever see in real action.

On the season FT shooting
    LSU shot .691
    UL shot .631

They suffer from the same effect.
    Obviously can't argue with the percentages. BUT, You said no one else had a facility like us where the walls are close to the goal. Not true.

That was the only school I looked up and it was very close to our practice facility. I'm willing to bet there are numerous schools who practice in gyms similar to us that play in larger arenas and shoot better FT's than us.

6. Default Re: End of the road: UL falls to Rice in CollegeInsider.com tournament

I played in the Cajundome 3 times in high school, and everyone on our team found that shooting was easier there than the matchbox gyms we were used to playing in once we had a shoot around. I would venture to say that college players that play the majority of their games in an arena would be able to adjust if a bunch of high school players can adjust and actually shoot better.

I have been hearing about not being able to shoot in the dome for years, im tired of it!!!! How many games did we play in the dome this year? Well rice played ONE game in the dome. they made free throws and open shots. Some of our players have played in the dome for 2 years(30) games and still cant make shots!!!!!

It's not the practice facility, before we had that we practiced in Bourgois, we seemed to shoot just fine then. I really think they are not great shooters to begin with, the free throw problem was in their heads. Also, I think the brand of basketball has some to do with it. They play so hard, such tough defense that it's hard to shoot when you are that exhausted and winded.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    It's not the practice facility, before we had that we practiced in Bourgois, we seemed to shoot just fine then. I really think they are not great shooters to begin with, the free throw problem was in their heads. Also, I think the brand of basketball has some to do with it. They play so hard, such tough defense that it's hard to shoot when you are that exhausted and winded.
    I agree with the style of play and stamina, it has an effect.

By the way at Bourgois there is more distance behind the goal.

Bottom line: UL needs shooters. I'm just looking at every little nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    When you have players who simply can't shoot free throws or simple jump shots, it doesn't matter where you play or practice. We need to recruit shooters and players with fundamental basketball skills. I am so sick of always having "athletic" players who can run, jump and dunk but can't shoot a free throw or a 10 ft. jump shot and can't seem to run what Coach wants them to. Maybe some of these guys should spend more time honing their skills than adding even more tats to their already tatoo-infested bodies which, personally, is one of the things that turns me off in today's basketball world.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I am so sick of always having . . . . and can't seem to run what Coach wants them to.
    These guys are running the offense the coach wants and they are getting open looks because of it.

They just can't close the deal.

I have season tickets and have been watching the Cajuns since the Lamar days. To me college basketball is getting almost unwatchable or at least less entertaining. Less and less of a finesse game. Real inconsistantly officiated. Walking and physical
    play are the norm. 40% shooting night is considered a great evening. BORING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information