Thread: lady cajuns win 2-1, advance to winner's bracket

1. UL Softball lady cajuns win 2-1, advance to winner's bracket

just another first round win by a very very consistent program that is consistently seeded much lower than it should be.

Default Re: lady cajuns win 2-1, advance to winner's bracket

Quote Originally Posted by miamicajun32
    just another first round win by a very very consistent program that is consistently seeded much lower than it should be.
    Solid win with eleven strikeouts for Kirchberg.

That has always aggravated me. How can they be ranked #15 in the NATION, yet be a #3 seed in a regional? They should have been a #2 seed. Not that it really matters whether they're a 2 or 3 seed because you still play the same opponent. It is just the lack of respect that is irritating. The Lady Cajun softball program has EARNED better than that.

4. UL Baseball Re: lady cajuns win 2-1, advance to winner's bracket

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    That has always aggravated me. How can they be ranked #15 in the NATION, yet be a #3 seed in a regional?
    Because the selection committee does not use the polls. The Lady Cajuns are a #3 seed because of the RPI.

They should have been a #2 seed. Not that it really matters whether their a 2 or 3 seed because you still play the same opponent. It is just the lack of respect that is irritating. The Lady Cajun softball program has EARNED better than that.
    I agree that they are worthy of a #2 seed. But it certainly matters whether you are a #2 or #3 seed. While softball is more regional w/respect to selections and pairings than baseball, the committee still attempts to balance the brackets somewhat. If you are a #3 seed, that means you are going to play a more difficult opponent (a #2 seed).

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    Because the selection committee does not use the polls. The Lady Cajuns are a #3 seed because of the RPI.

I agree that they are worthy of a #2 seed. But it certainly matters whether you are a #2 or #3 seed. While softball is more regional w/respect to selections and pairings than baseball, the committee still attempts to balance the brackets somewhat. If you are a #3 seed, that means you are going to play a more difficult opponent (a #2 seed).

Brian
    I guess what I meant was if the same 4 teams are in a regional, then 2 or 3 doesn't matter. Of course, I get your meaning that if the Lady Cajuns were seeded #2, NCSU probably would not have been the #3 seed. It is likely that in that event their opponent would not have been as tough as NCSU. So your point is well taken. Thanks.

6. UL Baseball Re: lady cajuns win 2-1, advance to winner's bracket

I guess what I meant was if the same 4 teams are in a regional, then 2 or 3 doesn't matter.
    Yes, but that assumes that teams are selected to a regional regardless of strength (at least the three teams other than the #1 seed) and then seeded afterward.

Of course, I get your meaning that if the Lady Cajuns were seeded #2, NCSU probably would not have been the #3 seed.
    Exactly.

It is likely that in that event their opponent would not have been as tough as NCSU. So your point is well taken. Thanks.
    Indeed.

Good luck to the Lady Cajuns tomorrow!

Geaux Cajuns!
    Brian

I know that it is a typo, but let's give Ashley Kirchberg her due. Cajuns win 2-0. Geaux Lady Cajuns!!!!!

8. Default Re: lady cajuns win 2-1, advance to winner's bracket

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun
    I know that it is a typo, but let's give Ashley Kirchberg her due. Cajuns win 2-0. Geaux Lady Cajuns!!!!!
    Actually, ESPN reported the wrong score. sorry about that.

9. UL Softball Starting Off on the Right Foot: Cajuns Take Down N.C. State in Regional Opener

BATON ROUGE – Friday afternoon at Tiger Park couldn’t have been better for the 15th-ranked Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns softball team.

A dominant pitching performance by Ashley Kirchberg and clutch extra base hits from Danyele Gomez and Holly Tankersley sparked a 2-0 victory over No. 23 North Carolina State in the squad’s NCAA Baton Rouge Regional opener.

The win moved the Ragin’ Cajuns (49-10) into a winner’s bracket final at 1 p.m., on Saturday against the winner of Friday night’s LSU-Princeton contest.

“It’s always important to get every win that you can, especially in a tournament where there is stiff competition” said co-head coach Stefni Lotief in regards to starting off the four-team tournament with a victory. “To win the first one says a lot because if you lose the first one it puts you in a bad position the way the tournament is set up.”

Kirchberg (25-1) fanned 11 Wolfpack hitters which included striking out the final five batters in succession to wrap up her first career NCAA Tournament victory. She carried a no-hitter into the third inning and held NCSU (49-20) to only two hits in posting her 13th complete game shutout of the season.

No. 15 Louisiana won its fourth straight NCAA Tournament opener and improved to 4-4 all-time at Tiger Park in the postseason event.

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA SI

Actually, ESPN reported the wrong score. sorry about that.

No biggie. As you, I'm just glad we're both on the winning side of the score.

Thread Information