Posted on July 26, 2002
LAFAYETTE - Leslie Pierce, a right-handed catcher from Sam Rayburn High School in Pasadena, Texas, has signed with UL Lafayette's Lady Cajuns softball program.

Pierce, who graduated from SRHS this past spring, will report to UL Lafayette this fall and will be eligible for the upcoming 2003 season.

"Leslie is a great addition to our softball team," said Lady Cajun coach Stefni Lotief, who is preparing for her third season at the helm of the Lady Cajuns' softball program. "She is a quality person and athlete who brings added depth to our team as a catcher.

"We are excited to have Leslie and her family as a part of our program."

The Houston native was a four-year letterman for the Texans of District 22-5A. She finished the 2001-02 season with a .420 batting average to help lead her squad to a 31-3 overall record and their second straight district and area championships.

Pierce is ranked in the Houston Chronicle's Top 15 Greater Houston Area polls for several hitting categories.

"I always wanted to play for a program that was competitive on the national level and had a well respected coaching staff," Pierce said. "Those factors, along with the fact that I have known (Lady Cajun pitcher) Brooke Mitchell since I was eight, made my decision a little easier."

Pierce was a member of the All-District 22-5A infield team for the last three seasons. An All-American Scholar Athlete for the Texans, she was also the student body vice president at SRHS and a member of the Who's Who and National Honor Roll.

She graduated in the top 10 of her class, was a recipient of the Vanguard Community Service Award and a Texas Scholar Athlete.

Pierce, who played first base in high school, was a catcher for her select softball teams and a former teammate of Mitchell.

"I have known Leslie since we played together in 8-and-under," Mitchell said. "She's a hard worker who doesn't back down from a challenge and I look forward to working with her next season."

She joins a Lady Cajuns softball squad that won its second straight Sun Belt Conference regular season championship and third straight SBC tournament championship in 2002.

UL Lafayette, which finished the season 50-13 overall and 15-1 in the SBC, will return six position starters and two starting pitchers when fall drills begin August 19.

The source of the Story