Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do strangers see when the read UL-Lafayette

1. I have a Question What do strangers see when the read UL-Lafayette

Worded another way what do strangers see when they see the UL logo underlined with Lafayette?

I have long contended that something with the shape of Louisiana needs to be included in the logo because letters mean nothing and when UL is underlined with Lafayette a stranger will think the "L" stands for Lafayette.

Now a person doing an interview could ask the right questions and even KNOW that a person is from Louisiana and still come to the wrong proper name conclusion. But the current UL logo (with Lafayete on it) screams Lafayette as the common name of the school

This story LINK seems to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville.com

Leaving Louisiana
    With his slow-honey accent and red Lafayette hat, Seth Sammons provides the shop's most obvious link to Louisiana.

Seth was a freshman at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette when the storm hit. He finished his first semester, but took a break from school to join his father soon after.

2. Default Most people don't really care

However, I think everyone who sees the UL-Lafayette logo understands that it is Ul-Lafayette just as when they may see the UL-Monroe logo they understand who they are as well.

It's pretty much self-explanatory.

Default Re: What do strangers see when the read UL-Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Worded another way what do strangers see when they see the UL logo underlined with Lafayette?

I have long contended that something with the shape of Louisiana needs to be included in the logo because letters mean nothing and when UL is underlined with Lafayette a stranger will think the "L" stands for Lafayette.

Now a person doing an interview could ask the right questions and even KNOW that a person is from Louisiana and still come to the wrong proper name conclusion. But the current UL logo (with Lafayete on it) screams Lafayette as the common name of the school

This story LINK seems to back that up.
    I see what you are getting at, but I don't think there is much room for confusion with the Lafayette under the UL. I mean, you would never see another school hat with initials, then the same words underneath the initials, so I don't think anyone interprets that as meaning that UL means University of Lafayette. What I don't like are the hats that say UL on the front and Lafayette on the back. Then people that only see the back really think we are called Lafayette. But now they are making them to where the Lafayette is in the same color as the hat, and I like that.

What I'd really like to see is some hats made with just the letter L on them, with Ragin' Cajuns on the back.

4. Default Re: Most people don't really care

Quote Originally Posted by Bengal70816
    It's pretty much self-explanatory.
    It might be to you, but then again, you are no stranger.

Why do far flung strangers come to the conclusion "Lafayette" :confused:

It's the logo!

Default Re: Most people don't really care

It's the logo!

Try a little experiment.E-mail the logo to those who haven't seen the logo and ask them the same question. Most of my family and friends know where I went to school, but I can think of a few that probably haven't seen the logo. A blind question would work.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Most people don't really care

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat
    Try a little experiment.E-mail the logo to yhose who haven't seen the logo and ask them the same question. Most of my family and friends know where I went to school, but I can think of a few that probably haven't seen the logo. A blind question would work.
    We need to develop a name/logo committee! Something real clear, real concise needs to come out!!

Thanks everyone,
    DaddyCajun

It's the logo!
    It's the name.

Why do you think Nevada faught like the dickens to get the -Reno dropped from Nevada-Reno?

We will always have a major problem with the name confusion as long as ULM is in the same conference and/or plays 1-A football, as long as our name is UL-Lafayette, and as long as I'm alive.

How nice would it be to never have to talk about this stupid-_____ name ____. This could have been accomplshed with SOUTH LOUISIANA(USL) or ACADIANA(AU)

Quote Originally Posted by HOTBOUDIN
    It's the name.

Why do you think Nevada faught like the dickens to get the -Reno dropped from Nevada-Reno?

We will always have a major problem with the name confusion as long as ULM is in the same conference and/or plays 1-A football, as long as our name is UL-Lafayette, and as long as I'm alive.

How nice would it be to never have to talk about this stupid-_____ name ____. This could have been accomplshed with SOUTH LOUISIANA(USL) or ACADIANA(AU)
    South Louisiana? - Great they'll confuse us with SOUTHern

Acadiana U? - Even worse, they'll mispronounce it "Arcadia"

Stay the course my friend, stay the course.

9. Default Re: Most people don't really care

We could have had University of Acadiana 30 years ago. The issue would be settled by now. It is unique. That name would accurately describe us. University of Acadiana Ragin Cajuns. I've always liked it.

I could possibly see confusion with Arcadia if it was University of Acadia, although that is even remote. There is a Baptist University in Sackville, Nova Scotia named Acadia University, and I've never heard it confused with Arcadia.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Most people don't really care

Quote Originally Posted by Membertou
    We could have had University of Acadiana 30 years ago. The issue would be settled by now. It is unique. That name would accurately describe us. University of Acadiana Ragin Cajuns. I've always liked it.

I could possibly see confusion with Arcadia if it was University of Acadia, although that is even remote. There is a Baptist University in Sackville, Nova Scotia named Acadia University, and I've never heard it confused with Arcadia.
    No offense but I also never heard of the Babtist University or Sackville, NS. Many more have heard of Louisiana than Acadiana, and I must agree with UL just staying the course. If you look at any of the name change history, "eventually" we got what we started out fighting for.

Once it is official that we are "by Law" able to as a University use University of Louisiana or Louisiana people will for get the Lafayette like they have forgotten Austin.

DaddyCajun

11. Default Re: What do strangers see when the read UL-Lafayette

Early this morning another example of mistaking UL for Lafayette has popped up. They had the wrong story altogether and the revised story is now found in this LINK.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiStar.com
    State teams to meet in Indy
    Conseco Fieldhouse to host Notre Dame, IU and Butler in preseason NIT

By Terry Hutchens
    terry.hutchens@indystar.com
    Indiana, Butler and Notre Dame basketball fans will be converging upon Indianapolis in November to see their teams square off in the preseason National Invitation Tournament.

Under a new format, teams no longer will play first- and second-round games on campus sites. Instead, four teams will play in each of four geographical regions, with winners advancing to the final four at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 22-24.

IU, Butler and Notre Dame will be joined by UL-Lafayette in the Midwest Regional at Conseco Fieldhouse. IU will face UL and Notre Dame will play Butler on Nov. 13. Game times will be announced later. On Nov. 14, the two winners and two losers will play.

The East Regional will be played in Charlotte, N.C., and feature North Carolina. The South Regional in Nashville showcases Tennessee, and the West in Spokane, Wash., includes Gonzaga.

"We've been examining this for the past eight months and the importance of giving our teams an opportunity to play at least two games in regional sites showed itself as a priority early in the process," NIT committee chairman C.M. Newton said in a news release. "Going to regional sites and guaranteeing teams two games levels the playing field and just makes good basketball sense."

Butler and Notre Dame met regularly through 1995, after which the series was discontinued. Butler won the last five meetings in the series, while Notre Dame holds a 71-30 edge all time.

This will be the first meeting between IU and Lafayette. The Ragin' Cajuns were 13-16 last season and 7-8 in the Sun Belt Conference.

Call Star reporter Terry Hutchens at (317) 444-6469.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    No offense but I also never heard of the Babtist University or Sackville, NS. Many more have heard of Louisiana than Acadiana, and I must agree with UL just staying the course. If you look at any of the name change history, "eventually" we got what we started out fighting for.

Once it is official that we are "by Law" able to as a University use University of Louisiana or Louisiana people will for get the Lafayette like they have forgotten Austin.

DaddyCajun
    That's a nice thought, but do you honestly ever see a time when the evil empire will let that happen?

In the meantime, we lose more of our identity every day.

Default Re: What do strangers see when the read UL-Lafayette

Early this morning another example of mistaking UL for Lafayette has popped up. They had the wrong story altogether and the revised story is now found in this LINK.
    The enemy is not LSU, the enemy is the University of Lafayette.

They must be stopped.

14. Default Re: What do strangers see when the read UL-Lafayette

I think the best thing we have going for us is "Ragin' Cajuns"--it is universally recognized. If we could get more of our sports jersey's to read "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns," (I think some of the baseball jersey's are this way and it is the way T.D. announces the team) this might help people understand. Maybe the media guides can put this as a designated manner of referring to our athletic teams (i.e., "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns" instead of "the Ragin' Cajuns of the University of Louisiana-Lafayette").

15. Default Re: What do strangers see when the read UL-Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by jay bee
    I think the best thing we have going for us is "Ragin' Cajuns"--it is universally recognized. If we could get more of our sports jersey's to read "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns," (I think some of the baseball jersey's are this way and it is the way T.D. announces the team) this might help people understand. Maybe the media guides can put this as a designated manner of referring to our athletic teams (i.e., "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns" instead of "the Ragin' Cajuns of the University of Louisiana-Lafayette").
    Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns is good, very good.

"Ragin' Cajuns of Louisiana" is better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information