Thread: Ragin' Cajun's Tennis Earns ITA National Ranking

1. Default Ragin' Cajun's Tennis Earns ITA National Ranking

After defeating two ranked teams to reach the HEB Tournament of Champions final, the Ragin’ Cajuns men’s tennis team earned their first national ranking in five years with their appearance in the ITA Top 75 Team Poll on Tuesday.

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun's Tennis Earns ITA National Ranking

Good stuff

3. Default Re: Ragin' Cajun's Tennis Earns ITA National Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post

After defeating two ranked teams to reach the HEB Tournament of Champions final, the Ragin’ Cajuns men’s tennis team earned their first national ranking in five years with their appearance in the ITA Top 75 Team Poll on Tuesday.

Guys I noticed this yesterday, and all I can say is this is "friggin' huge" We are now ranked in the top 75 and we have a run of matches that we should win to help us move up in the ITA rankings. We play the next matches vs Nicholls, UTPA, FAMU, Marist, St John's, Centenary, Lamar, Tulane and USM all of which are winnable matches. Nicholls and Tulane were ranked 70th and 71st respectively last week and this week USM is 66, St Johns is 68, FAMU is 69 and Tulane is 72, with Nicholls falling out of the Top 75. Barring injury and rainouts we should have a really good chance to go into the SBC tourney with a record of 16-5 and potentially the #1 seed in the tourney. 6 of the 9 remaining matches are at home including 2 of those current Top 75 teams in ST Johns and FAMU. Currently if the SBC tourney started today we would be in 2nd behind #42 ranked USA, who we beat but jumped 19 spots this week. Nice, hopefully with some wins this week we can do the same.

But it is bigger than that, what Coach Jeffery is building is maybe the potential for the 2nd strongest progam at UL. If this team makes the NCAA tournament this year with 2 Seniors and 1 Junior, what comes in next year is amazing we were ranked as the #15 recruiting class in the nation, that is out of 350 college teams in the country. The names ahead of us read like a list of powerhouse NCAA tennis teams (UVA, Stanford, Duke, UGA, A&M, Wake Forest, Texas, Vandy, etc).

For all of the tennis fans in Lafayette, if you are missing wathcing this team play, you are missing some real talent building.

Good luck Cajuns!!!

Default Re: Ragin' Cajun's Tennis Earns ITA National Ranking

I do surely hope we can build the program into a powerhouse like you are alluding to. I am not a huge fan of tennis, but I want every sport to thrive here at UL and the ones that are less visible are just as important to me as football.and baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Guys I noticed this yesterday, and all I can say is this is "friggin' huge" We are now ranked in the top 75 and we have a run of matches that we should win to help us move up in the ITA rankings. We play the next matches vs Nicholls, UTPA, FAMU, Marist, St John's, Centenary, Lamar, Tulane and USM all of which are winnable matches. Nicholls and Tulane were ranked 70th and 71st respectively last week and this week USM is 66, St Johns is 68, FAMU is 69 and Tulane is 72, with Nicholls falling out of the Top 75. Barring injury and rainouts we should have a really good chance to go into the SBC tourney with a record of 16-5 and potentially the #1 seed in the tourney. 6 of the 9 remaining matches are at home including 2 of those current Top 75 teams in ST Johns and FAMU. Currently if the SBC tourney started today we would be in 2nd behind #42 ranked USA, who we beat but jumped 19 spots this week. Nice, hopefully with some wins this week we can do the same.

But it is bigger than that, what Coach Jeffery is building is maybe the potential for the 2nd strongest progam at UL. If this team makes the NCAA tournament this year with 2 Seniors and 1 Junior, what comes in next year is amazing we were ranked as the #15 recruiting class in the nation, that is out of 350 college teams in the country. The names ahead of us read like a list of powerhouse NCAA tennis teams (UVA, Stanford, Duke, UGA, A&M, Wake Forest, Texas, Vandy, etc).

For all of the tennis fans in Lafayette, if you are missing wathcing this team play, you are missing some real talent building.

Good luck Cajuns!!!

5. Default Re: Ragin' Cajun's Tennis Earns ITA National Ranking

Great job, and best of luck to continued success. I certainly hope to make a match or two. It's been years since I've been to Cajun Courts to watch a match, but I actually love the game of tennis.

Thread Information