Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mascot: Cajun Man

Default Mascot: Cajun Man

I was searching on some good old google for Ragin' Cajuns pictures and i came across this. The website has nothing whatsoever to do with Louisiana athletics but the piture took me by surprise because it is something I had pictured in my head before. I know that the University mascot is currently under change so I wondered. What if instead of using a pepper, which is kind of silly because. well it's just silly; we used something more geared towards an actual "Ragin' Cajun?" Now I understand this may not be exactly what would work but it could be a step in a good direction. Think about it, Notre Dame uses a leprechaun to symbolize the Fightin' Irish. Why can't we do the same??

Here is the URL where I found it for those of you interested:
    http://members.tripod.com/the_cajun/mypage1.htm

Default Re: New Ragin' Cajun Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    I know that the University mascot is currently under change so I wondered. What if instead of using a pepper, which is kind of silly because. well it's just silly
    I must be out of the loop, since when has changing the mascot been discussed and by whom?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampHound
    I must be out of the loop, since when has changing the mascot been discussed and by whom?
    I apologize, I didn't mean to say under change. What I meant to say was that it is currently being revised. When I didn't see it all basketball season I asked Claire Pettit (President of University Program Council) and she told me this.

4. Default Re: New Ragin' Cajun Mascot

I was searching on some good old google for Ragin' Cajuns pictures and i came across this. The website has nothing whatsoever to do with Louisiana athletics but the piture took me by surprise because it is something I had pictured in my head before. I know that the University mascot is currently under change so I wondered. What if instead of using a pepper, which is kind of silly because. well it's just silly; we used something more geared towards an actual "Ragin' Cajun?" Now I understand this may not be exactly what would work but it could be a step in a good direction. Think about it, Notre Dame uses a leprechaun to symbolize the Fightin' Irish. Why can't we do the same??
    Let me try this again---The mascot needs to be a COON-___ that has the accent---White boots for the Shrimp industry, Khaki shirt for the farmers and workers, Blue jeans for just what is worn----Old pulled down hat and a shotgun that can fire when the team comes on the field----One side yells Ragin' and the other Cajun on command!!!!-We need a Cajun chicken Cajun!!!!

Well I didn't write that. I've never seen the Notre Dame Leprechaun run around with a rainbow and a pot of gold. But I guess the idea was been pretty much shot down

6. Default Re: New Ragin' Cajun Mascot

Hey, I like that.

That image is also close to what I had in mind. I wouldn't want to see overalls and a straw hat.I'm not to sure what one would imagine when they think of a ____ed off cajun, but he would have to definitely look initimidating and ready to "pass a good time".

that is a picture of the mascott that we had until the early 90s. I don't rember his exact name but I believe it was something like""Mr. Cajun". And if memory serves me right we had to drop him because of "community image issues". Kinda like Ole' Miss and the REB. Let me know if I'm off with this!

9. Default Re: New Ragin' Cajun Mascot

When I didn't see it all basketball season
    The powers that be prohibited a one time nostalgic return of the Cajun Chicken for the simple reason is they didn't want to undermine the current mascot’s popularity.

This was to protect a mascot that had failed to show up for any of UL's (mens and womens) first 22 home or away games. So with protectionism in place there was no Cajun Chicken at the McNeese game and no Cayenne for the next 39 games. 61 no shows in all, and you are the first to bring up the subject.

That should tell a tale when a bad concept of a mascot is able to wag the tail of a university.

ps Mascots should go to baseball games as well

10. Default Re: New Ragin' Cajun Mascot

I apologize, I didn't mean to say under change. What I meant to say was that it is currently being revised. When I didn't see it all basketball season I asked Claire Pettit (President of University Program Council) and she told me this.
    Thanks, that the first I heard of it.

Personally, while the Cajun may be in overalls and a straw hatit should be a lil more sophisticated.

We have used this before. It was in the mid-to-late 80's. It was called "Mr. Cajun" and was universally hated at the time.

13. Default Re: New Ragin' Cajun Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    Personally, while the Cajun may be in overalls and a straw hatit should be a lil more sophisticated.
    I don't see any overalls or straws hats in that picture.just a red tux, red shoes, and cool red hat.I really like this picture!

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    We have used this before. It was in the mid-to-late 80's. It was called "Mr. Cajun" and was universally hated at the time.
    So if we used it before then it's still ours right? I personally never knew it existed. I don't feel that the mascot should wear overalls and a straw hat at all, that is something that only a few of us (nationally) can relate to and as a joke at that. Nationally, we could easily be recognized by this type of mascot. I'm glad I wasn't in school in the 80's because I would have fought to keep this instead of the Cayenne pepper. Seriously nobody likes him. I think he should be retired and that "Mr. Cajun" should come back to town. I as well really like this picture! It's simple and when you think of it running on to the field wildly swinging it's fists you think "hey, there's Mr. Cajun" instead of "I didn't know peppers had arms."

Besides all this, we are not the Ragin' Peppers, we are the Ragin' Cajuns

15. Default Re: New Ragin' Cajun Mascot

The Pepper is ridiculous. Bottom line. We should dice him up, use him in a nice sauce piquant, and start from scratch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information