Thread: Name of Athletic Complex?

Ragin' Cajuns Name of Athletic Complex?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat
    I'm looking forward to have some expendable cash that I can use to rent a pair of gates. I along with whoever wanted to do the same would then put LARGE "Louisiana Athletic Complex" Letters on the gates and not worry about whether or not recognition comes with the donation.
    does anyone know what the name is going to be for our new athletic complex? forgive me for being overly excited about it, i know it's early but i definately think this is a time to implement using "Louisiana" in some way

what do y'all think?

2. Default Re: Name of Athletic Complex?

I suggest naming it after the guy who started football at the University of Louisiana.

"Ashby Woodson Manual Training Facility"

Default Re: Name of Athletic Complex?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I suggest naming it after the guy who started football at the University of Louisiana.

"Ashby Woodson Manual Training Facility"
    WHEN TURBINE SPEAKS, I LISTEN!!!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Name of Athletic Complex?

I did not know who started football, but I know someone whose entire life was SLI, USL, & UL football. This person as you can see was involved with 3 universities.

B. J. "Blackjack" Landry Athletic Complex

talk about I learn something new everyday. great information, i like the sound of "Blackjack" athletic complex but I know I have no say in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    talk about I learn something new everyday. great information, i like the sound of "Blackjack" athletic complex but I know I have no say in it.
    B.J. was a guy who spent his life working for SLI/USL/UL athletics. I dare say that no one on any internet message forum loved the Ragin' Cajuns as much as B.J. He'd want to fight anyone who dared say a discouraging word about his Ragin' Cajuns.

7. Default Re: Name of Athletic Complex?

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    B.J. was a guy who spent his life working for SLI/USL/UL athletics. I dare say that no one on any internet message forum loved the Ragin' Cajuns as much as B.J.
    Just on name recognition alone BlackJack would probably be the most popular pick. No one says ULAthletics more than he,

I doubt seriously that anyone would even know who Ashby Woodson is so on name recognition alone he would probably come in () last.

However I am looking at the new Athletic facility as a "New Begining" so I thought who better than the guy who started football and thus "ULAthletics" at UL.

Thus I suggest our long forgotton UL professor of Manual Traning, Ashby Woodson

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun
    I did not know who started football, but I know someone whose entire life was SLI, USL, & UL football. This person as you can see was involved with 3 universities.

B. J. "Blackjack" Landry Athletic Complex
    This would the right thing to because of all BJ has meant to this University. However it does not pay the bills and that is what this naming is all about

9. Default Re: Name of Athletic Complex?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy
    This would the right thing to because of all BJ has meant to this University. However it does not pay the bills and that is what this naming is all about
    True but a building with a name stands a better chance of getting renamed (for money) over a no-name buliding.

Thus I suggest an initial name that will not be objected to dropping when the money name arrives.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Name of Athletic Complex?

OK if not the new athletic building, then how about the Annual Football Banquet being named The B. J. "Blackjack" Landry Memorial Banquet. After all football was his main focus.

keep in mind though that this is going to be our universal athletic complex covering football, basketball, baseball, etc.
    Ashby Woodson started the first football team. I don't know what else he did but whatever the name is it will need to cover all sports

12. Default Re: Name of Athletic Complex?

keep in mind though that this is going to be our universal athletic complex covering football, basketball, baseball, etc.
    Ashby Woodson started the first football team. I don't know what else he did but whatever the name is it will need to cover all sports
    Good point, Ashby Woodson only started football at UL.

However since football was UL's first sport and he started it within weeks of the school opening for the first time, it could be said . Ashby Woodson got the ball rolling for all sports.

ps the reason I suggested "Ashby Woodson Manual Training Facility" was because he was also the Professor of "Manual Training" (no tie to sports)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Good point, Ashby Woodson only started football at UL.

However since football was UL's first sport and he started it within weeks of the school opening for the first time, it could be said . Ashby Woodson got the ball rolling for all sports.

ps the reason I suggested "Ashby Woodson Manual Training Facility" was because he was also the Professor of "Manual Training" (no tie to sports)
    Snuffy made the comment that we need a good name to help pay the bills.

Why not get IBM to sponsor our athletic facility and tie it in to our highly recognized computer program. Put their name on it for a few million a year.

The pros do it, the bowls do it. LET'S DO IT

Although BJ's main focus or job was football, I dare say that an athlete ever walked through 4 years at this University without some contact with BJ. I don't remember attending too many Cajun athletic events that BJ was not there in attendance and so many behind the scenes actions that he did.

I have made the statement before that the individual sports have there banquets and then at some point in the spring before every one heads home have a gathering for those who love Louisiana athletics.

Make it a bar b que, fish fry whatever, That should be named after Blackjack, because he used to throw one every year.

Quote Originally Posted by showdog
    Why not get IBM to sponsor our athletic facility and tie it in to our highly recognized computer program. Put their name on it for a few million a year.

The pros do it, the bowls do it. LET'S DO IT
    fabulous idea. money is what we need, and recognition came come thereafter

Thread Information