Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2006 Sunbelt Conference Baseball RPI

Default Re: Sunbelt RPI

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    BOP would be better to asnwer this than me but I believe ROBE doesn't want to sacrifice home games.
    That's part of it. Unlike Tech, we actually generate a good bit of much-needed revenue from our home games.

Clutch is right, Robe doesn't want to give up home games and I don't blame him. We have a much higher winning % at home and the fans want to see more games. What we need to do if it is possible is to scheldule tougher non-conference weekend games but that will cost more money, but with our averae attendence > 2200, donations to the program, and the jersey auctions we should be able to afford better teams. Adding Tulane and LSU will help alot. But I still believe winning a higher % of mid-week games against the Southland and La. Tech is our biggest problem, this year we are 10-8 against this group. This is what is killing our RPI, the lose against NWst. who last week's RPI was 198 does more damage to our RPI than winning 2/3 v.s. Troy with an RPI of 21. After the lost to NWst. our RPI dropped about 15 spots and then going 2/3 against Troy our RPI only jumped up about 8 spots with the help of NWst. sweeping Lamar and McNeese sweeping SLU which also helps our RPI.

Looking at warrennolan.com and comparing records and strength of scheldule with other teams, if we would have won just 2/3 of our games against the Southland and LA Tech which would be 12-6 v.s. 10-8 our RPI would be about 10 points higher. I feel 2/3 is the min. # of wins we should have against these teams.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    It's a combination of things.

In my opinion, value it or not, the problem isn't playing the Southland. Geography dictates your out of conference schedule in mid week games. Our geography dictates Northwestern, Southeastern, Nicholls, McNeese and Lamar. Normally, playing Northwestern multiple times would be an RPI boost. This year, unfortunately, it isn't. BUT Northwestern swept Lamar over the weekend which moved their RPI to a point where those losses will not be considered bad losses by the committee. Having Tulane on the schedule will help next year as will playing Houston in a non conference game midweek.

You have to understand that, unlike basketball, baseball schedules are usually done a couple of years in advance. In the past, the Sun Belt was frequently a top 5 league. We started to be a victim of our own success with great crowds and therefore, wanted to play more home games (remember that our program gets no money from the University other than scholarships and coaches salaries.and playing at home helps pay the bills.)

We scheduled northeast and Big Ten teams at home for the homegames because they don't require a return visit. At the same time, the Sun Belt got weaker and SOS started to hurt us.

La. Tech played Arkansas in a weekend series. They are much closer geographically to Fayetteville and Starkville than we are.

We will always continue to play the Southland, because geography dictates it in midweek.

But with 30 conference games beginning next year, and the Sun Belt starting to rebound, that will help SOS. Troy has been a great addition to the league, UNO is getting better and FAU will be a good addition as well.

In the case of Troy and their SOS, five games against Auburn and Alabama help the cause. In USA's case, their baseball program is fully funded and they hosted two tournaments and were able to bring in some really good teams to play.

Robe has recognized that SOS needs to improve and we are playing three at Southern MIss next year (with a return visit in 08), with Tulane at Zephyr and Houston on the road.

It'll all work out.
    Thank you very much for the response. It is very insightful.

Can you explain exactly what is meant by "USA's program is fully funded"? Is that because of a larger athletic budget or becuase of private donations, or maybe becuase they don't have a football program to worry about? Just curious. Whatever the reason, I think we still need a private athletic foundation to help with finances instead of placing the monkey on Coach Robe, as well as other coaches backs.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud

Can you explain exactly what is meant by "USA's program is fully funded"? Is that because of a larger athletic budget or becuase of private donations, or maybe becuase they don't have a football program to worry about? Just curious. Whatever the reason, I think we still need a private athletic foundation to help with finances instead of placing the monkey on Coach Robe, as well as other coaches backs.
    No football. And, they don't have softball until next year.

Men's and women's basketball and baseball are their priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunproud

If we win the regular season conference championship, the RPI will be a moot point. Sun Belt regular season champ gets a bid every year. We were also hurt having to play Tech twice in mid week games following other mid week road games. Had we played them on a weekend with our front line pitchers, we may have had a different result. Same thing with the Northwestern game last week. It was a midweek road game held the day after another mid week game. In 2008, this will be common as the season will start later and others will have to play 2 midweek games on a frequent basis. Also, the slow start of our weekday pitchers did not help us. Frankly, these mid week games helped prepare us for weekends. Focusing on the remainder of the conference games will help us get in the tourney. That is unexpected for a program that lost 16 seniors.

like bop said the southland is just having a down year. They are usually pretty decent in rpi rankings. I just can't wait till we can start playing LSU and tulane again. I can remember those games they were some of the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information