Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warhawks ?

1. UL Football Warhawks ?

Quote Originally Posted by ULapproved

A Court in Baton Rouge, ending an emergency lawsuit filed by the Louisiana Board of Regents against ULM, has just ruled the mascot name "Warhawks" to be illegal because the state legislature has not legally approved use of the name. ULM is now enjoined from using the name "Warhawks" because it was illegally changed from Indians - even though continued use of the name "Indians" will subject ULM to sanctions by the NCAA. The official court ruling stated, "What's in a name? They chose "Indians" and they will have to accept it regardless of the future consequences. Too bad they didn't have a really cool name like "Tigers" like my school did."

In a press conference, the Chancellor of LSU stated, "We cannot allow another university in this state to have a really cool nickname. Such a fearsome nickname will confuse the average Louisiana sports fan. They won't know if it is ULM or LSU because of the close connexity of the history of the name Warhawks to one of LSU's most distinquished 2 semester students. It will hurt LSU in the national public eye and severely threatens LSU's status as the Flagship university of the State of Louisiana and our goals to be the Flagship university of the United States of America."

Further, a legislative delegation from Baton Rouge has just introduced a bill to prevent ULM from using the moniker "Warhawks" because it is too confusing with a former LSU alumnus, Claire Chennault. Additionally, the school cannot use it unless it also uses as part of its official disclaimer "Not Associated with LSU two semester attendee Claire Chennault" in the same font size, style and color as the name "Warhawk" is represented. Further, the bill requires at least one other school in the state agree to use the name "Warhawks" also. The bill states that it will be illegal to use the name "Warhawks" used without compliance with these requirements. Incidentally, the bill also states that LSU is the flagship "Warhawk" school of the state.

(*) by

Default Re: This post is * ULApproved (Warhawks must change name )

Absolutely brilliant. I still say ULM should have gone with the nick name Bayou Bengals. I mean who would have had a problem with that?

3. Default Re: This post is * ULApproved (Warhawks must change name )

Man, I thought that article was real. I was gettting mad as I was reading. It sounds soo true.

4. Ragin' Cajuns William & Mary involks Ragin' Cajuns in NCAA Mascot Dispute

The limited manner in which the NCAA has pursued its policy further fuels a degree of cynicism that undermines its goals. The policy, as written and as explained by president Myles Brand, prohibits any member institution’s use of “hostile or abusive” nicknames, mascots, or imagery linked to any racial/ethnic/national origin group. Yet, to date, the NCAA policy has not been applied to member institutions utilizing racial/ethnic/national origin nicknames or imagery other than those linked to Native Americans. Granted, most of what currently seem to be the egregious examples of offensive mascots or imagery are those related to Native Americans. But there are exceptions, and we are left to wonder why the “Fighting Irish” (with an impish Leprechaun mascot) and the “Ragin’ Cajuns,” for example, have not been examined.

If the NCAA wishes to pursue a policy that prohibits only one form of hostile or abusive practices, it should do so in a straightforward manner so that both member institutions and the general public can judge the propriety of such action. The NCAA should not pursue a hidden agenda under the guise of a neutral policy. The NCAA’s actions in this respect are an affront to member institutions that support the NCAA’s policy of ensuring “respect for and sensitivity to the dignity of every person.”

The rest of the story

Default Re: William & Mary involks Ragin' Cajuns in NCAA Mascot Dispute

So help me God if the NCAA were to ever make the brain-dead move of making us change our nickname, I would never spend one red cent on college athletics (or watch it on TV) ever again.

I would hate the world if we had to change our nickname. This is rediculous, where are the animal rights activists crying about using their names? Leave us alone we aren't abusing or misrepresenting anyone

Even if they tried to make us change out name, I dont think they could do it. After all, we are offically the university of the acadians. Our university represents the cajun people just as florida state represents the seminole nation in florida.

Quote Originally Posted by CDeb
    So help me God if the NCAA were to ever make the brain-dead move of making us change our nickname, I would never spend one red cent on college athletics (or watch it on TV) ever again.
    What those professors at WM fail to realize is that unlike at WM where you'd be hard pressed to find an actual native, there are actual Cajuns who attend UL.

Default Re: UL's next Mascot/Spirit Leader

How about the "Fire Ants"!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Catahoula Bulldog.

Ok, so it seems that there has been a lot of talk and sharing of ideas about what could be used if the school mascot/spirit leader were to be changed.

Keep i mind that we are not wanting to change anything but the spirit leader that walks around pumping up the crowd at the games. Changing our name is
    EXACTLY what we need to STAY AWAY from. If we want to be known and respected as a University, we need to stick to an image and shine through it; not change it every 10 years when things get old.

Ms. Kathy (registrar's office) introduced me to the Catahoula bulldog. I have posted a website telling all, and thought some of you may be interested in checking it out. It's a pretty neat combination between the old Bulldog and the (state dog) Catahoula Hound. Your thoughts please.

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/ca.a-bulldog.html

Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Catahoula Bulldog.

Quote Originally Posted by ULforlife
    Ok, so it seems that there has been a lot of talk and sharing of ideas about what could be used if the school mascot/spirit leader were to be changed.

Keep i mind that we are not wanting to change anything but the spirit leader that walks around pumping up the crowd at the games. Changing our name is
    EXACTLY what we need to STAY AWAY from. If we want to be known and respected as a University, we need to stick to an image and shine through it; not change it every 10 years when things get old.

Ms. Kathy (registrar's office) introduced me to the Catahoula bulldog. I have posted a website telling all, and thought some of you may be interested in checking it out. It's a pretty neat combination between the old Bulldog and the (state dog) Catahoula Hound. Your thoughts please.

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/ca.a-bulldog.html
    I like the Catahoula, bring it ON!!!

Default Re: UL's next Mascot/Spirit Leader

Well, they might save some time & money preventing them from showing up for the games.:o

13. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Beware the Fire Ants

They are all over my yard. . . the rains. . .

I saw a very active trail on the KATC patio yesterday, and mentioned it to the powers that be.

I hope someone makes a quick run through the stands today because it doesn't take long to handle but game time is the wrong time.

I hate fire ants.

14. Default Must mascots be politically correct now?

What is all the hoopla about mascots? I think everyone has gone crazy over sensitivity. A mascot as defined in the dictionary is an animal, person or thing adopted by a group as its representative symbol and is supposed to bring good luck.

Some teams pick them to show their toughness: Bears, Gators, Raiders. Others pick them for honor of past: Boilermakers, Minutemen, Rivermen. Part of the school name can give rise to a mascot: St. Bonaventure University Bonnies, University of Illinois Illini, Immaculata College Mighty Macs. Tie-ins are used, too: Stetson University Hatters, South Dakota School of Mines Hardrockers, Brooklyn College Bridges.

Teams pick mascots for pride, not to ridicule. Do you think for one minute that there was a board deciding which mascot to pick, and they said, "Let's pick a name to denigrate or demean someone! Yeah, that's the ticket. We can be well known for ridiculing others."

No, they pick these names to show honor, bravery, courage, heritage among them.

When the University of Louisiana-Monroe was pressured into changing its mascot from Indians to Warhawks, didn't they realize in a few more years from now they will have to get rid of War in the name, because that will be offensive? The Florida State Seminoles were told to change because it was deemed derogatory. However, the accusers failed to ask members of the Seminole Nation what they thought. It turns out they were honored, not offended.

The rest of the story

Phil Gremillion

Louisiana Re: Must mascots be politically correct now?

There are thos people will not be happy until mascpts are all atetic in nature.

Did you know that tne nickname of the Athletic Teams at Scottsdale Community Colle in Phoenix is the Fighting Artichokes. Sell that to a recruit ))

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information