Thread: Ex-NFL players sue league in LA over concussions

1. Default Ex-NFL players sue league in LA over concussions

NEW ORLEANS (WTW) — A federal lawsuit filed on behalf of a group of former NFL players who live in Louisiana accuses the league of failing to protect players from the risks associated with concussions. Several former New Orleans Saints players, including ...

Homes SO Clean

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Ex-NFL players sue league in La. over concussions

It's a big problem, my friends. Regardless of the outcome of these lawsuits, it's a problem.

Has it crossed anyone's mind that the NFL could use as a defense that these players just didn't start playing in the NFL. While concussions in the NFL get the spotlight, the NFL could say that the scope is too narrow and problems could have started way before playing in the NFL. Why isn't the NCAA, , their college, their high school board, high school, elementary school, etc, not named? Heck, why not sue the companies that make these cheap kid football uniforms with the cheap plasic helmets that just about all of us have had as a youngster and played in the front yard when we had dreams of playing football as an adult? Concussions are a problem and I feel for the players. I think that alot will depend when the NFL knew of these possible problems and if they squelched it or it's something that is just getting looked into and they are now just realizing the effects. It will be interesting how this plays out.

John Fourcade was a dope long before he got to the NFL. Pretty sure his condition was congenital.

5. Default Re: Ex-NFL players sue league in La. over concussions

How many former football players have not had concussions??? I don't know enough about it ---but is it almost the same as having your bell rung????

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    How many former football players have not had concussions??? I don't know enough about it ---but is it almost the same as having your bell rung????
    OK, Boomer, how many "bell ringings" did you have back in the day?

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun View Post
    Has it crossed anyone's mind that the NFL could use as a defense that these players just didn't start playing in the NFL. While concussions in the NFL get the spotlight, the NFL could say that the scope is too narrow and problems could have started way before playing in the NFL. Why isn't the NCAA, , their college, their high school board, high school, elementary school, etc, not named? Heck, why not sue the companies that make these cheap kid football uniforms with the cheap plasic helmets that just about all of us have had as a youngster and played in the front yard when we had dreams of playing football as an adult? Concussions are a problem and I feel for the players. I think that alot will depend when the NFL knew of these possible problems and if they squelched it or it's something that is just getting looked into and they are now just realizing the effects. It will be interesting how this plays out.
    They are going after the money. These particular players want a settlement. The NFL wants this to go away. They aren't looking to pass the buck. It would be far better to pretend concussions (or head trauma) in the NFL is the root of latent brain disease than to place it on all levels of the sport, but there is no evidence that the damage done to these individuals occurred during their NFL play (or only during their NFL play).

This will continue to be a hot topic... no matter how much people dislike it. The NFL isn't "squelching it". Aside from team doctors taking a stronger stance on a player that shows signs of a concussion having to go on IR for longer periods of time, this is going to result in a new NFL player contract clause. It will work both ways. The NFL is going to want to eliminate (or limit) liability... and the players are going to want more guarantees (coverage, treatment, protection, research funding, focus).

The NCAA is also watching closely.

My head problem goes all the way back to getting slapped by the hood bully. I'd sue him but that's what got me slapped, I quit listening to Johnny Cash.

Actually from the articles I have read about it. Most trouble starts in Jr. High and High School football. The problem with the NFL is that the hits become much more violent. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Thread Information