Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Steve Gleason Story

1. Default Re: Atlanta Radio Station makes fun of Steve Gleason

790 The Zone has fired the three individuals involved the Steve Gleason skit.

http://www.790thezone.com/apology.aspx

I took the time to write an email to the station's GM to express my disappointment & embarrassment to hear another media member be so careless in mocking Gleason and his condition, which will eventually claim his life. Anyone in the media with a clue knows that would have been in poor taste and offensive with no redeeming value. I'm glad management (and likely sponsors) refused to accept a mere apology and that these individuals had to suffer the consequences for their intentional actions.

2. Default Atlanta DJs fired after mocking Saints' Gleason

Atlanta DJs fired after mocking Saints' Gleason

They say it was a joke, but no one was laughing. Three Atlanta sports radio hosts are out of a job after a tasteless skit about former New Orleans player Steve Gleason. There was public outcry after they mocked gleason and his ongoing battle with Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS.

The former Saint can't walk, or talk and is forced to use an eye tracking device to communicate. Hours before the bit aired, a piece, written by Gleason, was published on Sports Illustrated's website.

"My first thoughts were how can these guys be so stupid," 1420 AM Radio Host Scott Prather said, "When you offend a guy that's famous and paralyzed and dying that also played for a rival team of what you're the flagship station of it's bound to just throw gasoline on the fire so to speak."

The tasteless segment drew the attention of "Who Dat" nation and the New Orleans Saints organization. They released a statement reading in part, " The New Orleans Saints support Steve Gleason not only for what he means to our organization and our city, but more importantly what he means in his tremendous fight to find a cure for ALS."

In the end, Prather sees a silver lining to this unfortunate situation.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Atlanta Radio Station makes fun of Steve Gleason

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    That was his brother Vince Cellini, Nick is the doucher
    Thank you. That is correct.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Cellini use to do the Nba broadcasts on TBS back in the day. I can't believe anyone would do this?

Z
    There's a lot of evil people walking the Earth these days. I know I sound like an old man but this wouldn't have happened thirty years ago. Some people like this stuff. There are plenty on 9/11 jokes etc. We live in a very wicked world.

The horrible part of the "jokes" is these Mensa members did not bother to research ALS and understand how most pass on. The one joke I've heard/read repeatedly is the cruelest. Time to let it go.

In the end, abet ugly, ALS has been the twitter buzz for 24 hours. As we all know, not all God's blessings are feel good moments, but in the end, Steve's work is being brought to the forefront. Three idiots used for the good of mankind in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    There's a lot of evil people walking the Earth these days. I know I sound like an old man but this wouldn't have happened thirty years ago. Some people like this stuff. There are plenty on 9/11 jokes etc. We live in a very wicked world.
    I disagree.the same amount of evil people have been wandering the earth, we just didn't hear about it. There is no need to look back at the good ole days because it's always been like this, we were just not as connected as we are today. This would have and prolly did happen thirty years ago.you just wouldn't have heard about it. We have always lived in a wicked world.time to take your head out of the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    The horrible part of the "jokes" is these Mensa members did not bother to research ALS and understand how most pass on. The one joke I've heard/read repeatedly is the cruelest. Time to let it go.

In the end, abet ugly, ALS has been the twitter buzz for 24 hours. As we all know, not all God's blessings are feel good moments, but in the end, Steve's work is being brought to the forefront. Three idiots used for the good of mankind in the long run.
    There is the silver lining.the idiocy of men turns into the good of mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    I disagree.the same amount of evil people have been wandering the earth, we just didn't hear about it. There is no need to look back at the good ole days because it's always been like this, we were just not as connected as we are today. This would have and prolly did happen thirty years ago.you just wouldn't have heard about it. We have always lived in a wicked world.time to take your head out of the sand.
    While I agree with most of your statement; the fact is that 50 years ago, such a segment would never have reached the airwaves. Plugs like Jim Rome and Geraldo Rivera were unemployable. They were still there, but did not have an audience. We do not have a higher percentage of either evil or crass people, just a much lower general standard of acceptable behavior.

Some of Nick's responses on Twitter

Nick Cellini ‏@NickCellini 11h
    I have personally apologized to Steve Gleason & am profoundly sorry for the ill humored comments from today's show.

Nick Cellini ‏@NickCellini 15h
    No one made me apologize earlier, no one made me reach out. I was ignorant and it was the right thing to do. Got what I deserved

Nick Cellini ‏@NickCellini 15h
    An update: we all got wacked. I apologized to Michel Gleason, she understands it was a stupid joke. I'll do my best to help Team Gleason

No head in the sand here. The Roman civilization was one of the cruelest and wickedest man ever produced. In fact they make current American society look like choir boys. I was talking about recent American History and society. The Brady Bunch caused a scandal in the 70's because they slept in the same bed. Today Prime Time TV has so many sexual situations and language that would have been unthinkable thirty years ago. Our society is degrading. We make celebrities out of the despicable (Insert any Kardashian you care too). I sound older and older each day. Now if you will excuse me I'm going to put some socks on and wear sandals. It's time I sit on the porch and yell at the neighbors kids to stay off my lawn.

Well Nick has deleted his Twitter account.

Last post for me on this subject (I hope)

Team Gleason
    Regarding the DJ skit in Atlanta yesterday. I would like to thank the public for their support. 'Defend Team Gleason' now has been officially redefined. Additionally, the DJs have provided genuine apology. Received and accepted. We have all made mistakes in this life. How we learn from our mistakes is the measure of who we are.

I think everyone can learn from this event. Its clear to me that, on a national & global scale, ALS is not understood, which is part of why its under funded and largely ignored. In the past 36 hours lots of people have been talking. Lets talk about this. There are zero treatments for ALS. If you take any action as a result of this event, I prefer it to be action to end ALS. See what we are doing to change that @ teamgleason.org. SG

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    No head in the sand here. The Roman civilization was one of the cruelest and wickedest man ever produced. In fact they make current American society look like choir boys. I was talking about recent American History and society. The Brady Bunch caused a scandal in the 70's because they slept in the same bed. Today Prime Time TV has so many sexual situations and language that would have been unthinkable thirty years ago. Our society is degrading. We make celebrities out of the despicable (Insert any Kardashian you care too). I sound older and older each day. Now if you will excuse me I'm going to put some socks on and wear sandals. It's time I sit on the porch and yell at the neighbors kids to stay off my lawn.
    Regardless of what you feel was a wholesome time in American history.it was just as bad if not worse than it is now. I know that goes against everything you learned on Leave it to Beaver, but it's true. In the 70's, they pushed the limits of what is acceptable.just like they are doing today. That has not changed. It's not that society has become less wholesome and seedy.it's that they are chipping away at our old Puritanical societal norms that everyone holds up as the standard bearer. Without the Brady Bunch sleeping in the same bed, you wouldn't have the stuff you see on TV that shocks you. It's the chicken or the egg argument. American Societal norms would not be evolving if no one was pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable.

Regardless of what you feel was a wholesome time in American history.it was just as bad if not worse than it is now. I know that goes against everything you learned on Leave it to Beaver, but it's true. In the 70's, they pushed the limits of what is acceptable.just like they are doing today. That has not changed. It's not that society has become less wholesome and seedy.it's that they are chipping away at our old Puritanical societal norms that everyone holds up as the standard bearer. Without the Brady Bunch sleeping in the same bed, you wouldn't have the stuff you see on TV that shocks you. It's the chicken or the egg argument. American Societal norms would not be evolving if no one was pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable.
    I'm sure Ward Cleaver slapped around Ms. Cleaver when nobody was looking. People have not changed since the beginning of time. We are not far apart on this. What was unacceptable by society standards thirty years ago or okay today. We are producing real monsters. Look at all the crazy shootings of innocent people that are taking place now on a monthly basis. The only school shooting I remember from the 60's was that UT sniper.

15. UL Football New Orleans Saints question of the day: Will the Atlanta radio incident encourage more people t

Steve Gleason encouraged action in his official statement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information