Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Danny Cottonham

Default Danny Cottonham

Danny Cottonham, or as all his student-athletes know him - Mr. C, has been let go as Director of the Student- Athlete Center. He has held this position for 30 years. In fact, he started the department. Working with student-athletes is his passion & he has touched so many of their lives over the years. Apparently the university is restructuring & they have already named his replacement. The main reason for this post is to notify all current & former student-athletes so that if you want to contact him you should do so in the next couple of weeks. Mr. C is too good of a person to speak negatively about what has happened to him, but I know he would appreciate any contact from his student-athletes. Best of luck Mr. C! You will be missed! Please know that your contributions will not be forgotten!

Default Re: Danny Cottonham

Quote Originally Posted by cajunmel View Post
    Danny Cottonham, or as all his student-athletes know him - Mr. C, has been let go as Director of the Student- Athlete Center. He has held this position for 30 years. In fact, he started the department. Working with student-athletes is his passion & he has touched so many of their lives over the years. Apparently the university is restructuring & they have already named his replacement. The main reason for this post is to notify all current & former student-athletes so that if you want to contact him you should do so in the next couple of weeks. Mr. C is too good of a person to speak negatively about what has happened to him, but I know he would appreciate any contact from his student-athletes. Best of luck Mr. C! You will be missed! Please know that your contributions will not be forgotten!
    I don't know anything about Mr. Cottingham other than knowing he is a longtime employee which your post confirms. And while I appreciate his service to UL on the other hand I think one of the problems at UL has been entrenched employees who have been in the same position for far too long. While experience is good staying in one position for three decades can lead to stagnation and the old USL response to new ideas and thinking of "that's not how we do it here.". I can think of one employee that stayed in his position decades longer than he should have. I'll leave it to Z to reveal that person's identity!

I graduated with Danny a number of years ago. He is a really good guy. And he does have the best interest of the student-athletes at heart. I am so sorry to hear he's been "let go". That really sucks. I do agree to a point with Hammer's blanket statement about people being in one position too long and getting stagnant. Not sure if this applies to Danny, but it often does apply to many. Seems like they could've allowed him to retire or moved him to another position. Not sure about the details, so I don't know what options, if any, he was offered.

4. Default Re: Danny Cottonham

Mr. C helped a lot of kids throughout the years. This is very sad news.

Quote Originally Posted by gridironalumni View Post
    Mr. C helped a lot of kids throughout the years. This is very sad news.
    What happen to Mr C what are you guy's talking about

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I don't know anything about Mr. Cottingham other than knowing he is a longtime employee which your post confirms. And while I appreciate his service to UL on the other hand I think one of the problems at UL has been entrenched employees who have been in the same position for far too long. While experience is good staying in one position for three decades can lead to stagnation and the old USL response to new ideas and thinking of "that's not how we do it here.". I can think of one employee that stayed in his position decades longer than he should have. I'll leave it to Z to reveal that person's identity!
    Authement almost killed this university. Sad situation but Dr Savoie does not make rash decisions. Best of luck Mr Cottingham.

Z

He was the best.

8. Default Re: Danny Cottonham

Just wondering if anybody knows who did this job prior to Danny?????

Met Mr. C. 30 years ago when my ex girlfriend worked for him as a student worker. It was Always a pleasure to talk to him. Many student athletes were helped by him & I hope he enjoys his retirement.

Default He did not retire. He was forced out.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnied View Post
    Met Mr. C. 30 years ago when my ex girlfriend worked for him as a student worker. It was Always a pleasure to talk to him. Many student athletes were helped by him & I hope he enjoys his retirement.

He did not retire. He was was forced out.

12. Default Re: Danny Cottonham

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Just wondering if anybody knows who did this job prior to Danny?????
    B-mer, I'm sure someone was doing the job informally but CajunMel said in his post that Danny started the department.

13. Default Re: Danny Cottonham

It was I---Actually we had a program that was set up based upon the U of Colorado---had 3 test phases for the incoming Freshmen and even structured courses where we team taught a curriculum that was taken by a projected number based upon ACT/HS GPA------Very closely monitored effort with the coaches and myself on class attendance, study hall, and tutoring help-----Compliance I think was much more complicated in that there were different standards required by the NCAA, GSC, State Board, NCAA championship, and Junior college transfer certification----I talked to Danny many times through the years and although I didn't know what the new rules were etc---I know that he loves this university dearly and surely worked his ___ off in trying to reach its athletic goals!!!!

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    It was I---Actually we had a program that was set up based upon the U of Colorado---!
    Busted!----I was set up

Let me just say this, for those of you who have not been involved in the inner-workings of the department throughout the years. Danny Cottonham was the best thing that happened to most of our athletes. He is a true mentor and the closest thing that some of those kids ever had to a father. The athletes come to him with academic problems, home life problems, girlfriend problems, everything. He is the type of man who will stay at work until 10 p.m. if a kid needs him. He always, ALWAYS did the right thing for the kids, never gave into pressure from administration, stood up to many coaches when they were mistreating their athletes, and basically is the best person I know. He has had a direct impact on everyone from Hollis Conway to Jake Delhomme to Peanut Tillman to Ike Taylor to Tyren Johnston.

Here's the sad part.this is not his choice. His boss came into his office two weeks ago and told him that his services were no longer needed and he needed to start packing up. He was given no prior warning, nor told what he has done wrong to bring this about. Apparently the department is "restructuring" and Mr. C is not part of that picture. It is a disgrace the way they are treating somone who has been a father figure to so many throughout the years. I wish that some of his former athletes knew more about what was going on, because they wouldn't stand for it. You shouldn't treat anyobody that way, but especially not Mr. C. The irony is. Mr. C is such a good job, he will leave without causing a fuss in order to protect the current students from knowing how this is all going down.

He's a class act, and should be given much more respect than the current administration is giving him!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information