Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Danny Cottonham

Default Re: Danny Cottonham

so who replaced him? or did the 3 million in budget cuts have something to do with it? what about all the other faculty that was let go because of budget cuts? why isnt anyone crucifying the administration for those people? maybe we dont know the whole story? maybe some of you are biased because you like the man? Sounds like they tried to keep the man out of respect for what he has done and his pride did not allow him to accept that position.

Crazycajun, it is not just about liking Mr. C it is about his proven commitment & success working with student-athletes. You obviously do not know him. If you were a student-athlete or co-worker of Mr. C then you would understand everyone's concern & sadness for his departure. There is no justification for this decision. And it was not out of respect that he was offered another position. I think the administration just doesn't want to appear heartless. By the way the latest info I received is that he hasn't decided yet whether he will take the position or retire.

Then why doesn't someone explained what happened? Did the administration pull his name out of a fishbowl? My point was there might be a reason. Not many people go around firing people because they thinks it's funny. If this man is as great as everyone says, I doubt the admin. Let him go for no reason at all. The fact that they offered the man another position tells me they were trying to keep him. If you know different, speak up

I dont know any details but I can promise you, Mr. C is a class Act, I was Manager for the Mens basketball team and he didnt treat me any different than the players, He along with ms kristy and mr lane looked out for me whether it was personal situations or academics , I credit Mr.C and his Staff for keeping me focused until I got my degree, I was really sad when I heard the news, So were former athletes I spoke with, I hope the university knows what they are doing!

Quote Originally Posted by APragincajun View Post
    I dont kno any details but i could promise u, Mr. C is a class Act, I was Manager for the Mens basketball team and he didnt treat me any diffrent then the players, He along with ms kristy and mr lane looked out for me wether it was personal situations or academics , i credit Mr.C and his Staff for keeping me Focused Until i got my degree, I was Really Sad when i heard the news, So were former athletes i spoke with, i hope the university knows what they are doing!
    Don't know why, but is this a position that now requires a PhD? Did Danny have a Masters or PhD? Good or bad, maybe its a credentials thing??

No Director position requires a PhD. The director of the academic success center doesnn't have a PhD. Keep in mind that that a doctorate degree does not automatically qualify you for a job. To work with student athletes you have to have compassion, common sense, patience, & respect. Why is it that athletic coaches don't have to have PhD's?!? These young people respond better to people who care and understand their journey. Those of you who judge Mr. C have never had him by your side when there was noone else. I seriously doubt that the administration would have stuck by my side & gotten me thru some very trying times. They were just out to use me for my talent!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunmel View Post
    No Director position requires a PhD. The director of the academic success center doesnn't have a PhD. Keep in mind that that a doctorate degree does not automatically qualify you for a job. To work with student athletes you have to have compassion, common sense, patience, & respect. Why is it that athletic coaches don't have to have PhD's?!? These young people respond better to people who care and understand their journey. Those of you who judge Mr. C have never had him by your side when there was noone else. I seriously doubt that the administration would have stuck by my side & gotten me thru some very trying times. They were just out to use me for my talent!
    I wasn't making a judgement, just wondering If his position now requires a higher degree level plus experience and his level wasn't high enough. No one has yet said whether he had even a Masters.

He has a Masters Degree. I could care less if he only had his GED. He cared & he spoke to me like I meant something. As APraginCajun said, there are lots of former student athletes who are upset about this. And the student athletes are what this dept. is all about. Without us, there would be no coaches & administrators!! So they need to stop making decisions that supposedly benefit student athletes without consulting us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    You mean the same Authement that just recently told folks that he wasn't happy about UL football winning and going to a bowl game because you will now have a hard time keeping the boosters under control?? That Authement? The Fossil? Really? The same guy that was soooo freakin charismatic that most of our bigtime money folks now donate gobs of cash to LSU? That guy? Oh yeah, he was __________ great!

Z
    +1

Remember, politics had just as much to do with the Baldwin hire and any thought of success. Thanks old Dr. A and Coach Blanco!

Hear that they are going to put Jessica Leger over the department and yes she has a PhD. She is the Assistant Director for NCAA Compliance. May be using the PhD to justify the change. I don't understand when I had several interactions with Mr. Cottingham and found him genuine but real and that is what the athletes need someone who tells them straight up and they respect. Compliance is a bunch of paper work and not saying she is not great at it because she is but this is a lot more athlete interaction and personality is a big part of this when getting student athletes to pick UL over other schools.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by playincajun View Post
    Hear that they are going to put Jessica Leger over the department and yes she has a PhD. She is the Assistant Director for NCAA Compliance. May be using the PhD to justify the change. I don't understand when I had several interactions with Mr. Cottingham and found him genuine but real and that is what the athletes need someone who tells them straight up and they respect. Compliance is a bunch of paper work and not saying she is not great at it because she is but this is a lot more athlete interaction and personality is a big part of this when getting student athletes to pick UL over other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by playincajun View Post
    UL is moving towards Tier 1. Maybe a reason for this decision was to put as many department heads as PhDs towards that goal. Tier 1 should be UL's # 1 goal. DC is at or near retirement. Keeping him in a position to still have an impact might have been offered to him. This is still an academic and not athletic position and dept. With understanding of the influence he has had on a lot of athletes, just maybe there is a bigger picture in mind. I would think more information needs to be forthcoming before everyone continues to bash UL over this.

He has a Masters Degree. I could care less if he only had his GED. He cared & he spoke to me like I meant something. As APraginCajun said, there are lots of former student athletes who are upset about this. And the student athletes are what this dept. is all about. Without us, there would be no coaches & administrators!! So they need to stop making decisions that supposedly benefit student athletes without consulting us!!!
    University decisions cannot or should not be made by consulting athletes on such decisions. I don't know the whole story here, but neither do you and a few others that have came out to speak on behalf of DC on Ragin'Pagin. Most people that have known DC for sometime will not have anything negative to say about the man. I certainly do not have anything negative to say about him and have always enjoyed my conversations with him. But such decisions aren't made in a vacuum and people's job performance are measured from year-to-year, not decades. Change is difficult and ofter met with emotion. Let's not trash the reputations of the people that made the decision or might be named as his replacement because you don't agree with the decision.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    University decisions cannot or should not be made by consulting athletes on such decisions. I don't know the whole story here, but neither do you and a few others that have came out to speak on behalf of DC on Ragin'Pagin. Most people that have known DC for sometime will not have anything negative to say about the man. I certainly do not have anything negative to say about him and have always enjoyed my conversations with him. But such decisions aren't made in a vacuum and people's job performance are measured from year-to-year, not decades. Change is difficult and ofter met with emotion. Let's not trash the reputations of the people that made the decision or might be named as his replacement because you don't agree with the decision.
    Thanks, T.

+1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information