Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Danny Cottonham

1. Default Re: Danny Cottonham

Well RaginCajunPie since I know who you are -and the job you did- your thoughts carry a lot of weight with me.

Thanks

Default Re: Danny Cottonham

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajunPie View Post
    Let me just say this, for those of you who have not been involved in the inner-workings of the department throughout the years. Danny Cottonham was the best thing that happened to most of our athletes. He is a true mentor and the closest thing that some of those kids ever had to a father. The athletes come to him with academic problems, home life problems, girlfriend problems, everything. He is the type of man who will stay at work until 10 p.m. if a kid needs him. He always, ALWAYS did the right thing for the kids, never gave into pressure from administration, stood up to many coaches when they were mistreating their athletes, and basically is the best person I know. He has had a direct impact on everyone from Hollis Conway to Jake Delhomme to Peanut Tillman to Ike Taylor to Tyren Johnston.

Here's the sad part...this is not his choice. His boss came into his office two weeks ago and told him that his services were no longer needed and he needed to start packing up. He was given no prior warning, nor told what he has done wrong to bring this about. Apparently the department is "restructuring" and Mr. C is not part of that picture. It is a disgrace the way they are treating somone who has been a father figure to so many throughout the years. I wish that some of his former athletes knew more about what was going on, because they wouldn't stand for it. You shouldn't treat anyobody that way, but especially not Mr. C. The irony is... Mr. C is such a good job, he will leave without causing a fuss in order to protect the current students from knowing how this is all going down.

He's a class act, and should be given much more respect than the current administration is giving him!!!

I will second all you've said. Danny was there when I was there and he was totally a class act. And he did stand up to many coaches and to student athletes alike. He did more for keeping athletes eligible over the years and saw to it that many graduated who would have never done so on their own. The university is losing a great person.

Not that Mr. C could ever be replaced, but I wonder what "different direction" the school is going in. It is hard to imagine a better situation than the one we had with Mr. C. I can personally attest to his ability to tame some pretty wild student athletes (names withheld out of discretion). I'll also echo BamaCajun's remarks - there are a ton of Cajuns walking around with degrees that could not have graduated without Mr. C.

Between Mr. C on campus and BJ at the complex, we had it all covered. Y'hear?

5. Default Re: Danny Cottonham

Well his wife is the Dean of Students, she took over for Pratt after he 'retired'. So if he really wanted to raise a stink, he is not completely powerless here. I just hope that it did not go down as described here. He is a classy guy that did a lot for the university and its student athletes. I have to admit, when someone described how he 'stood up' to coaches I did smile a bit. UL needs people like Danny.

From what I heard he was offered another position but turned it down. I am not sure what the position was or for what department. Also again from what I heard on the accreditation side they needed someone in that position with a PHD. I think sometimes we put too much emphasis on letters after peoples name. What we need every now and then is someone with some good old common sense.
    I can tell you that I took a class with him in the spring of 83 and he was an excellent teacher that made you think outside the box. He will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    From what I heard he was offered another position but turned it down. I am not sure what the position was or for what department. Also again from what I heard on the accreditation side they needed someone in that position with a PHD. I think sometimes we put too much emphasis on letters after peoples name. What we need every now and then is someone with some good old common sense.
    I can tell you that I took a class with him in the spring of 83 and he was an excellent teacher that made you think outside the box. He will be missed.
    Now this would be a most tragic excuse for replacing someone. Is this there something to this?

RaginCajunPie you are so right! It is a disgrace what this administration has done to Mr. C - someone who has done more for the university & particularly for student-athletes than any of those who were behind this decision! His "replacement" will never be able to live up to the passion & dedication this man has had for the personal, academic, & professional success of student-athletes! Offering him another position when his career has been working with student-athletes for 30 years is an insult!! He deserves better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Authement almost killed this university. Sad situation but Dr Savoie does not make rash decisions. Best of luck Mr Cottingham.

Z

How did UL become the best university in the state If Dr A almost killed it? It did not just happen.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    How did UL become the best university in the state If Dr A almost killed it? It did not just happen.
    You mean the same Authement that just recently told folks that he wasn't happy about UL football winning and going to a bowl game because you will now have a hard time keeping the boosters under control?? That Authement? The Fossil? Really? The same guy that was soooo freakin charismatic that most of our bigtime money folks now donate gobs of cash to LSU? That guy? Oh yeah, he was __________ great!

Z

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Really? Then how come we are still not Tier 1 after 30 years of his "great" leadership? Why are we making such great strides in academics and campus improvements now that he is gone? I'm starting to think that the strides UL made during those 30 years were accomplished in spite of Doc A.

Talk to some faculty members and department heads and you'll hear stories of how much of a paranoid control freak he was. As Z alluded to, I had a conversation recently with a department head who relayed a recent conversation he had with Doc A. I asked if Doc, after seeing the success and excitement the season and Bowl win brought to the university caused him to rethink the lack of support he gave athletics and his refusal to allow an organization like RCAF. His response was that Doc is even more convinced that he was right and that all that the current admin is doing with athletics is the wrong way to go. He believes it will take away from academics, will allow boosters to run wild and basically will be the downfall of UL. Thank God he is finally gone. It should have happened 20 years earlier.

13. Default Re: Danny Cottonham

I would really like to know the inside scoop to this story---first question is whom did DC work for within the university-----Was it through only the athletic department or was it with Guidance and Counseling---or was it a combination structured between the two areas???? I guess that the "NEWS" will eventually come forth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Well RaginCajunPie since I know who you are -and the job you did- your thoughts carry a lot of weight with me.

Thanks
    Thanks for the kind words, Turbine, but I wouldn't have been able to do half of the things I did at UL without the mentorship and guidance form Mr. C. He taught me all I know, and I'm heartbroken over this!

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    He was offered a position as an academic counselor for the general studies department, basically a demotion since he has been head of his own department for years and years. As Turbine aluded to, I did work for UL previously, and I have been at 3 other universities since then as Assistant Athletic Directors over Compliance and Academics. And the even sadder part to this story s that UL is going backwards here. I have gone to conventions and met with others in my field, and everyone from Harvard to MIT is going back to the way Danny Cottonham ran his department -- hiring good people who care about the students and don't mind taking personal interests and working long hours. Other schools have tried technology and PhDs and everything under the moon and found that they don't work. Apparently UL is 10-15 years behind the times and is about to give up the exact models that other Division I schools are fighting hard to return to. It makes no sense. If anyone in the administration would take 2 seconds to actually research the move they are making, they would see that. Unfortunately, it will be too late and the best asset UL has will be gone by then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information