Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst . 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2006-2007 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ragin2112cajun
    Once again I see on this forum that all these people believing in coach lee,cant answer the question about "the man" being able to COACH all this
    talent he is bringing in. Dr.Fidell extending lee's contract is a move only this
    cowtown university could make.Lee got a contract extention heading a program off of someone elses players.The talent on those teams all lee had
    to do was role the ballout and make sure they were out of the strip joints
    and bars before practice started.
    As for as bashing Evans moving to San Francisco was not a step down when
    you just look at baskeball,the cajuns would have trouble winning out west.
    Lets be real the Sunbelt is HORRIBLE as of late.
    Evans moving to SF was a lateral move at best. Maybe the top 3 teams are better, but Jessie isnt helping that RPI. He hasnt improved that program. In fact they've taken a step backwards, similar to what has happened here.

Now, given time to bring in his own people, Jessie will probably succeed, just like Lee will, here at UL.

Z.

2. Default Re: Basketball

Once again I see on this forum that all these people believing in coach lee,cant answer the question about "the man" being able to COACH all this
    talent he is bringing in. Dr.Fidell extending lee's contract is a move only this
    cowtown university could make.Lee got a contract extention heading a program off of someone elses players.The talent on those teams all lee had

Just straight up, you are an idiot who knows nothing about hoops.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cajunpepper
    Just straight up, you are an idiot who knows nothing about hoops.
    ANYONE LISTEN TO THE RL SHOW TONIGHT? ANYTHING PARTICULAR THAT STOOD OUT (I.E. HIS FEELINGS ON TWO WINS, CHANGE IN MOOD OF THE TEAM, CONFIDENCE, ETC.)

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    ANYONE LISTEN TO THE RL SHOW TONIGHT? ANYTHING PARTICULAR THAT STOOD OUT (I.E. HIS FEELINGS ON TWO WINS, CHANGE IN MOOD OF THE TEAM, CONFIDENCE, ETC.)
    I listened to the Coach Lee show. Here is what I remember. Morale is good. It would have been devastating to lose to Denver had they made a three at the buzzer. We won Saturday because we won Thursday. First half Saturday was our best of the year defensively. Many teams have gotten hot with threes against us. He thought it was mostly luck but has found by looking at film that many of our freshman don't close out on key shooters like they should. After all, in high school, many guys miss that type of shot. Guys need to learn, you can't hope they will miss, you have to make them miss. He was very proud of Rhett Hebert, Willie Lago, and Dees for the good free throw shooting on Saturday. 10 fpr 10 in the last few minutes.Now some not so good news, injuries caused us to have only nine guys at practice today. Mouton's knee swelled up, Courtney Wallace is still out while both Valentino Hart and Aubrey Milson sat out. Adam James was the only inside player at practice. Trainer says they should all be OK by Thursday. UNT is 2 and 3 in the league but have only played one conference home game. They had the best non conference record in the Western Divison of the Sun Belt though. They probably have the most offensive talent in the league while Saturday's oppenent, WKU has the most likely pro prospect in Courtney Lee. It will be a challenging week. Finally, he did not talk about Elijah Milsap but I will tell you he was a big part of the wins with his quick hands on defense.

If i am a idiot come introduce yourself to me next home game sec206 row bb seat 11,12.Your the dude who probably liked Baldwin for football,and thinks Lee can do what Pasqual,Fletcher,and Evans did be a winner year end year out.Lee got a winning record as a coach off of Evans players.The administration obviously was trying to make themselves look good publicly hiring Cyprien and Lee.Will see,the crowd numbers have been going down even before this season,if you don't have a following how do you expect to fill the cajundome idiot.And I think we are hosting the sunbelt tourney at seasons end whats your excuse if the cajuns don't get in.A young team,sorry thats a sad excuse when there have been other coaches out there who have done great things with true freshmen as a starting five.Geaux hang out with your buddy Jay at 1420 IDIOT.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Basketball

If i am a idiot come introduce yourself to me next home game sec206 row bb seat 11,12.Your the dude who probably liked Baldwin for football,and thinks Lee can do what Pasqual,Fletcher,and Evans did be a winner year end year out.Lee got a winning record as a coach off of Evans players.The administration obviously was trying to make themselves look good publicly hiring Cyprien and Lee.Will see,the crowd numbers have been going down even before this season,if you don't have a following how do you expect to fill the cajundome idiot.And I think we are hosting the sunbelt tourney at seasons end whats your excuse if the cajuns don't get in.A young team,sorry thats a sad excuse when there have been other coaches out there who have done great things with true freshmen as a starting five.Geaux hang out with your buddy Jay at 1420 IDIOT.
    Just don't hold back anything. Robe missed out while he hosted a Sun Belt Torney, and both Jesse and Marty hosted and were one and done. Marty won seven games the year he signed all those freshmen, Lee will equal or better it.

Dude I got no ill will towards Jesse, or Marty why so hostile towards Lee? He is trying to do what neither Jesse nor Marty tried to do, build a foundation and get get players who can stay in school while playing. You do know that Lee had the UNO point guard Bo ready to sign, but Jesse decided to go with a Los Angeles point guard who never showed. He pulled the request while our Lee was at the home? Everyone makes mistakes on players.

7. Default Re: basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman
    THIS IS HOW STUPID YOU ARE.JESSE HAD TO 1ST CHASE THESE GUYS AROUND AND GET THEM TO CLASS AND WHEN HE LEFT THEY LEFT
    2ND YOU DIDN'T KNOW IF THEY WERE ELEGIBLE AND MOST OF THE TIME THEY WEREN'T
    3RD THEY WERE ALWAYS GETTING INTO SOME SORT OF TROUBLE
    BUT AS LONG AS HE PUT UP 20 + WINS AS YOU SAY THAT WAS OKAY BECAUSE YOU SIMPLY DON'T KNOW OR CARE IF THEY GO TO CLASS OR GRADUATED.HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE! AND WHERE ARE THE PLAYERS NOW(THAT WE SHOULD HAVE)DON'T GET ME WRONG THERE WERE A FEW GUYS WHO UNDERSTOOD THE IMPORTANCE OF AN EDUCATION AND TOOK IT UPON THEMSELVES TO DO JUST THAT, GAVE ME A BREAK TODAYS BASKETBALLS GPA 2.5-2.8, WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEMI KNOW YOU ACTUALLY ARE A lsu guy trying to act a cajun fanGOTTA BE BECAUSE YOU AINT ONE OF US.
    Please stop screaming and showing your own ignorance by doing so. I guess you were upset when the Cajuns were in the big dance two years in a row and winning year after year. I am glad you are happier with things now. Please enjoy the games with the low attendance now. Lots of other college students do well in school and much better than a 2.5 gpa, which is very very mediocre, but that does not earn a right to play on a very good D1 basketball program. I am not one of your "us" I guess because there is no way I am going to pretend that all is ok with the basketball program or that it has a great future if things continue as they have gone.

I understand that Lee is a great guy and most of the players now study hard and go to class apparently, but those two factors, while very important in life, cannot make up for a coach a losing record, and embarassingly losing record. The players education is much more important for them than whether their team wins or loses, but the coach must ultimately be judged by wins and losses. 20+ wins versus 20+losses is quite a difference in production. You can sugar coat it all you want

8. Default Re: Basketball

those are great points. Unfortunately the sunbelt of today could not compete with the sunbelt of the 90s and it is true that Lee cannot seem to coach well the talent that he is bringing in. Young or not, they should not lose by a few points one night and then 40 the next time against the same team, as well as lose by 40 to a southland team. If the recruiting class is so good they should be able to compete better against sunbelt and southland type teams, even when very young. After a couple of wins, maybe things will turn around a bit. I hope so, but I doubt it.

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by miamicajun32
    those are great points. Unfortunately the sunbelt of today could not compete with the sunbelt of the 90s and it is true that Lee cannot seem to coach well the talent that he is bringing in. Young or not, they should not lose by a few points one night and then 40 the next time against the same team, as well as lose by 40 to a southland team. If the recruiting class is so good they should be able to compete better against sunbelt and southland type teams, even when very young. After a couple of wins, maybe things will turn around a bit. I hope so, but I doubt it.
    Cher, Miami and 2112 made friends. That's cute. If we are all lucky then you two will form your own clique and not include us, and then start PM'ing each other so us un-cool kids can't know what you are talking about.

I can see it now:

MC: RL sucks
    2112: I know
    MC: Jesse was so much better
    2112: Totally
    2112:Totally
    MC: I wonder what Mike Southall's doing these days
    2112: I don't know but I bet it's cool

And on and on and on.Just repeating the same ol' blabber about RL.

Were you two pres and vice-president of GALA while ya'll were at UL?

And don't get upset and come on here telling me to back off and that i don't know you and whatever, and that 2112 is the only person that understands you. I get it.

UL Basketball Re: basketball

Please stop screaming and showing your own ignorance by doing so. I guess you were upset when the Cajuns were in the big dance two years in a row and winning year after year. I am glad you are happier with things now. Please enjoy the games with the low attendance now. Lots of other college students do well in school and much better than a 2.5 gpa, which is very very mediocre, but that does not earn a right to play on a very good D1 basketball program. I am not one of your "us" I guess because there is no way I am going to pretend that all is ok with the basketball program or that it has a great future if things continue as they have gone.

I understand that Lee is a great guy and most of the players now study hard and go to class apparently, but those two factors, while very important in life, cannot make up for a coach a losing record, and embarassingly losing record. The players education is much more important for them than whether their team wins or loses, but the coach must ultimately be judged by wins and losses. 20+ wins versus 20+losses is quite a difference in production. You can sugar coat it all you want
    Try this on for size dude: Jesse is 4/11 on games that count.

http://usfdons.cstv.com/sports/m-bas.ched.html:eek:

11. Default Re: Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    Cher, Miami and 2112 made friends. That's cute. If we are all lucky then you two will form your own clique and not include us, and then start PM'ing each other so us un-cool kids can't know what you are talking about.

I can see it now:

2112: Totally
    2112:Totally
    MC: I wonder what Mike Southall's doing these days
    2112: I don't know but I bet it's cool

And on and on and on.Just repeating the same ol' blabber about RL.

Were you two pres and vice-president of GALA while ya'll were at UL?

And don't get upset and come on here telling me to back off and that i don't know you and whatever, and that 2112 is the only person that understands you. I get it.
    I will always be a big Cajuns fan, but will never understand the lack of demand for winning results. My alma mater is University of Florida and us Gator fans demand the best from our teams. Why can't us Cajuns fans do the same? I don't expect national championships at UL of course, but I do expect sunbelt titles, as long as the sunbelt is so weak. I think it is great that the football program has risen from the ashes to be competitive, but the basketball program has been consistently winning for decades and now I fear it is one of the worst teams, regarding performance on the court. Worse of all is that at least the fans on this forum seem to accept it, no problem, and simply don't demand more. The team is young but has talent, so there is no excuse whatsoever for the record and the few blow out losses. Lee's teams have not played consistently up to their potential night in and night out for all three seasons he has been at the helm. Period. As attendance falls, it just shows more fans seem to agree with the non rose colored glasses approach that me and others are taking.

12. UL Basketball Free throws: 'It's a concentration thing'

Three different players on UL's men's basketball team stepped to the free throw line and made a pair of free throws in the final 23 seconds Saturday night, helping the Ragin' Cajuns survive in a 74-71 Sun Belt Conference win over Florida International.

It wasn't just by chance that Rhett Hebert, David Dees and Willie Lago wound up at the stripe in those closing seconds. UL made sure that its better free-throw shooters were those handling the basketball, forcing the Golden Panthers to foul players that figure to find success at the line.

But nothing's for sure in that situation, and that six-in-a-row streak runs counter to both the Cajuns' season-long performance and to national averages.

As a team, UL is shooting 65.6 percent at the free throw line, meaning more than three out of 10 Cajun attempts don't go in. That's not far off the national averages, though, since Division I college teams have hit between 68 and 70 percent from the line in each of the last seven seasons.

"It's a concentration thing," said Cajun coach Robert Lee. "We shot well when the game was on the line Saturday. What we have to do is get that concentration level up like we have it in the last two minutes."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

I will always be a big Cajuns fan, but will never understand the lack of demand for winning results. My alma mater is University of Florida and us Gator fans demand the best from our teams. Why can't us Cajuns fans do the same? I don't expect national championships at UL of course, but I do expect sunbelt titles, as long as the sunbelt is so weak. I think it is great that the football program has risen from the ashes to be competitive, but the basketball program has been consistently winning for decades and now I fear it is one of the worst teams, regarding performance on the court. Worse of all is that at least the fans on this forum seem to accept it, no problem, and simply don't demand more. The team is young but has talent, so there is no excuse whatsoever for the record and the few blow out losses. Lee's teams have not played consistently up to their potential night in and night out for all three seasons he has been at the helm. Period. As attendance falls, it just shows more fans seem to agree with the non rose colored glasses approach that me and others are taking.
    Most of us do demand more.But at the same time, we are not worried about what happens only one season, we are looking at the next several seasons. Its the people who can vs. the people who can't see the forest through the trees scenario.

None of us are happy about the record. However jumping up and down and screaming the coach needs to go is not the solution. There is no short term solution. Those of us who go to the games don't believe the record is because they are not being coached properly. That does not mean Coach Lee has not made mistakes. Early on, Robert was too hard on these kids and they regressed when Milsap joined. However, it may have been a necessary regression as he has more athletic ability than anyone else and needs experience Also, Robert has realized he needs more patience and you can tell this is the case. He is not going to be fired so continually harping on this serves no purpose. Again, there is no short term solution to this issue. I will bet you that this team will not finish with the worst record in recent years (I know that is nothing to be proud of). The 95 team went 7 and 22. Two of the wins were against non Div 1 schools. There was only one road win while another was on a neutral court during the conference tournament. That same team with virtually no additions had a winning season the next year. That occurred because they matured and our guys will do the same and we are bringing in major reinforcements.

I sent you my email address. Haven't heard from you.

Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst . 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 . LastLast

Thread Information