Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst . 46 53 54 55 56 57 LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2006-2007 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

Default Re: Tough Year for UL men . in hindsight

I think that many "fans" simply can't see the forrest for the trees. the simple facts of it are that Coach is doing the right thing. In a day and age where the NCAA is reducing scholarships for programs which do not graduate their players, Lee is bringing in True freshman players and making sure they go to class and graduate. He is fixing the program from the floor up. The way that Jesse and Marty ran the program got us wins but would cost us scholarships in todays college sports world. As far as recruiting talent, you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. Yes, freshman and sophmores are leading programs to national championships. However, thoes players are few and far between and are being recruited by colleges which have recruiting budgets as large as our whole athletic budget. ( not exactly, but you get the point) And if you look at the top 20 prep players in the state (last year) and where they are attending school, you will see that we got the lion's share. So let us really think about the team this year. We didn't match up very well at any position and our starting 5 was never really set and it included players that would have not really touched the court previously. Not a knock on the guys or staff, just the truth. The future of the team has brightness. We have the 07 freshman of the year. Dees will be back. We will have more depth at most positions. We will have one of the youngest teams in conference most of which will then have 1 more year in the class, gym and on the court than they had this year (which only grows as the years go on). And not to mention that we have one of the best (if only on paper) players that we have ever signed coming in. WE WILL BE OK.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that the sky is not falling. Our early success gave us too much hope for the season as a whole. But the great thing about hitting the bottom is that yhe only way to go from there is up. We have to go through our growing pains. In the mean time, lets go cheer on our other athletes and prep for next year.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: UL@UNT Season Over

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    How many times do I have to tell you five new people will be coming on board next year as basically freshman. Recruiting is not a big issue for awhile. You obviously never sent BOP your email so as he can give you more info about what is really going on with the program.

Why even entertain this guy? Nothing positive from him this year.not even an acknowledgement that we boast the SunBelt freshman of the year. So negative.not what we need to hear right now!

Default Re: UL@UNT Season Over

Quote Originally Posted by miamicajun32
    I make one statement and then am attacked. Then I respond.

I think we can agree that 9-21 is very very bad, especially in weakened sunbelt. Why it happened or how to improve it is not really so relevant to what it is. The facts. And it is Lee's third year. No more excuses

Yes, it would have been great if Evans won first round NIT or NCAA games but can live with those "failures". Going 9-21 is not going to get you to the first round. Young teams can win the sunbelt just like they can win any other conference. I was not saying the Cajuns should compete for a national title. They should compete for at least the upper half of the sunbelt.

9-21, third year, 2nd year to recruit players for your system That gets a failing grade.

Winning in Cajun basketball is no longer demanded by the powers that be though so just get ready for .500 type seasons. That is what we are all shooting for, right? When this team gells, with some new players next year, then Cajuns should be at about .500. How could you expect more? Now the expectation is simply to make the conference tourney

Mid major type schools with very good long-term winning traditions have fallen apart suddenly for the long term in the past. Just look at Lamar and UNO. UL is in danger of just being another mid major program that sometimes has good years and sometimes bad years. I thought Cajuns basketball was more than that, putting at least an over .500 team on the floor for the vast vast majority of the past 40 years or so.

When I first read your posts, I sent you a private message offering to email you with information that might better help you understand the background of this situation and the goals for the future and the plan to get there.

You didn't respond.

Then I sent you an email through this forum offering the same thing.

You said you didn't get it.

I gave you my email address through this board. You have been encouraged to use that email address by myself and others.

You have chosen not to respond.

Having opinions is great. Having informed opinions is better.

I have come to the conclusion that you really don't want to know anything that would make you a better informed poster.and I assume that's because you really enjoy the rants you put on this board.

But the sad part is, you really believe in what you type.

And, that's YOUR fault.

When I come to Miami for baseball, lunch is on me if you'd like.

Default Re: Tough Year

Lee believed Cajuns were sweet 16 type team before last season, so kudos to him for improving the schedule dramatically. That is one thing he has done very right. Why not play very good non-conference teams? I wish Evans arranged more of that. Lee believed from the get go that Cajuns would continue with great winning tradition in each of his years at the helm and he wanted to face the best teams, to keep Cajuns in contention re rpi and such. This team played very well in

Youth, inexperience, players not following system each game, difficult non-conference schedule, cupboard bare after Lee's first season, last season's very heavy transfer experiment not working out due to all of them being bad apples by coincidence, new way of recruiting hs players needing a few years to pan out, etc., etc

The excuses are more frustrating than the losses. Lee should just own up for his failures thus far and explain how he is going to improve as he goes forward. The head coach is the one who is supposed to take responsibility and not lay blame on every one but himself for 20+ losses.

I only hope that all this losing has taught Lee how to be a successful D1 head coach. Perhaps things will change next year. Let's hope so If they don't, let's just try and look at facts and not blame everyone but Lee.
    first few games against top notch competition but that is because of all the rustiness of teams. Other teams improve greatly as season progresses, but Cajuns never did. Nevada's coach said he would not want to play the Cajuns later in the year because he could see talent that was inexperienced, but had huge upside for later this season. Cajuns just stumbled and bumbled along

It is not easy to win less than 10 games overall and play in sunbelt conference. Have to be a very very bad team to do this
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coach Lee has said how he is going to improve the team. By helping the talented players he brought in last year earn eligibility and by bringing in more talent. By the way, the Cajuns were not poorly prepared the other night as you claim. That was a game in which the opposition which has the best talent in the leauge played to their potential. They wer helped by the officiating which allowed an NBA style game. Their talent really shone in that game and they will win the tourney if they play that way. I saw some highlights and Kendrick Davis hit 3's with guys all over him. Also, you have not given me a fact based assessment to back up your 13 and 15 prediction. That won't happen as we play either 29 or 30 games.

I think we can agree that 9-21 is very very bad, especially in weakened sunbelt. Why it happened or how to improve it is not really so relevant to what it is. The facts. And it is Lee's third year. No more excuses

Yes, it would have been great if Evans won first round NIT or NCAA games but can live with those "failures". Going 9-21 is not going to get you to the first round. Young teams can win the sunbelt just like they can win any other conference. I was not saying the Cajuns should compete for a national title. They should compete for at least the upper half of the sunbelt.

9-21, third year, 2nd year to recruit players for your system That gets a failing grade.

Winning in Cajun basketball is no longer demanded by the powers that be though so just get ready for .500 type seasons. That is what we are all shooting for, right? When this team gells, with some new players next year, then Cajuns should be at about .500. How could you expect more? Now the expectation is simply to make the conference tourney

Mid major type schools with very good long-term winning traditions have fallen apart suddenly for the long term in the past. Just look at Lamar and UNO. UL is in danger of just being another mid major program that sometimes has good years and sometimes bad years. I thought Cajuns basketball was more than that, putting at least an over .500 team on the floor for the vast vast majority of the past 40 years or so.
    Coach Lee expects winning will be demanded in the future. He has said if another season like this one occurs, someone else will have the job.

Default Re: Tough Year for UL men . in hindsight

Quote Originally Posted by derf
    I think that many "fans" simply can't see the forrest for the trees. the simple facts of it are that Coach is doing the right thing. In a day and age where the NCAA is reducing scholarships for programs which do not graduate their players, Lee is bringing in True freshman players and making sure they go to class and graduate. He is fixing the program from the floor up. The way that Jesse and Marty ran the program got us wins but would cost us scholarships in todays college sports world. As far as recruiting talent, you have to take a step back and look at the big picture. Yes, freshman and sophmores are leading programs to national championships. However, thoes players are few and far between and are being recruited by colleges which have recruiting budgets as large as our whole athletic budget. ( not exactly, but you get the point) And if you look at the top 20 prep players in the state (last year) and where they are attending school, you will see that we got the lion's share. So let us really think about the team this year. We didn't match up very well at any position and our starting 5 was never really set and it included players that would have not really touched the court previously. Not a knock on the guys or staff, just the truth. The future of the team has brightness. We have the 07 freshman of the year. Dees will be back. We will have more depth at most positions. We will have one of the youngest teams in conference most of which will then have 1 more year in the class, gym and on the court than they had this year (which only grows as the years go on). And not to mention that we have one of the best (if only on paper) players that we have ever signed coming in. WE WILL BE OK.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that the sky is not falling. Our early success gave us too much hope for the season as a whole. But the great thing about hitting the bottom is that yhe only way to go from there is up. We have to go through our growing pains. In the mean time, lets go cheer on our other athletes and prep for next year.
    Lots of folks got fooled as to our potential in those games we played competitively against Tenn. and Nevada. We still did not win those and we had emotion helping us in those games.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Miami, I am not attacking you. I am attacking the conclusion you keep coming to. You didn't make "one statement". You made many.

You should take BOP up on his offer. At least it's a free meal. But, I must warn you. you may learn something.

Keep holding up the Miami Cajun fan base. PS I ate me some blackened Gator last night. Sure was good.

8. Default Re: UL@UNT Season Over

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
    When I first read your posts, I sent you a private message offering to email you with information that might better help you understand the background of this situation and the goals for the future and the plan to get there.

You didn't respond.

I gave you my email address through this board. You have been encouraged to use that email address by myself and others.

I have come to the conclusion that you really don't want to know anything that would make you a better informed poster.and I assume that's because you really enjoy the rants you put on this board.

And, that's YOUR fault.

BOP,

Please e-mail me the same information. I would like to be better informed.
    My e-mail is rsarta@comcast.net. I know its very early and many things will change, but give me an idea of next years starting five.

Thanks

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cajunsray
    BOP,

Please e-mail me the same information. I would like to be better informed.
    My e-mail is rsarta@comcast.net. I know its very early and many things will change, but give me an idea of next years starting five.

Thanks
    I'd like to see you post it everywhere just so we can all be more informed.

You didn't respond.

And, that's YOUR fault.

Wait a minute back the ____ up here BOP. You offer to tell Miami info but no offers to anyone else. Why cant you just put here on this board in black and white? Or you afraid to put this info out in public?

And i for one think Miami is right-42-48 is the record. Its his 3rd year and no improvement from the 1st year. Its a BAD basketball league and he cant even play in the tourney in his own backyard. Totally UNACCEPTABLE. His azz should be on the hot seat. And quit predicting a Sweet 16 appearance. That was dumb Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux
    I'd like to see you post it everywhere just so we can all be more informed.

he probably wont. When it comes to putting his balls on the line he doesnt.

12. Default Re: UL@UNT Season Over

Quote Originally Posted by jamesthejeweler
    whether one agrees or disagrees whether lee is a good coach/recruiter doesn't change the fact of how misinformed you are. you obviously don't live here and it shows. i wish you could see how ridiculous you sound. its painful!
    Ok. I admit that I don't know much about what is going on because I don't live in the area. But even if all my detailed opinions are completely off, the results of 9-21 in 3rd year is so so pitiful that it does not matter how or why the free fall has happened.

I am hoping that I am very very wrong, but I don't see this program competing for much more than an overall .500 record next year. What really gets me is not so much the losses as the completely inconsistent play, which logically would lead a casual fan to conclude that coaching is big part of the problem. How do you lose by 40 to SFA? How do you play CSF close one game then lose by 40 to same team a few weeks later? How do you lose by tens of points to Monroe, then destroy them a few weeks later? After winning 4 sunbelt games in a row and toping if off with the blow out of then first place Monroe, how do you lose the rest of the games down the stretch, when you have momentum? How do you simply not even show up to play an elimination game that if you win gives you HOME COURT ADVANTAGE in conference tournament and a not so long-shot chance at actually playing for NCAA bid? How do you decide as a coach to go after mostly transfers first full year of recruiting and then one year later completely change strategy and start from scratch?

I will stop making statements that I admit I don't know much about and that I am mostly just ranting and raving But please someone answer my questions. BOP I very much appreciate your offer to help me out with info and I apologize for not responding very well. I will send you my email address through the private messages. I will go to the baseball games in South Florida if I am in town then.

13. Default Re: UL@UNT Season Over

You didn't respond.

And, that's YOUR fault.

I will take you up on that lunch offer if I am in town. Travel a lot for business Thanks!

Ok. I admit that I don't know much about what is going on because I don't live in the area. But even if all my detailed opinions are completely off, the results of 9-21 in 3rd year is so so pitiful that it does not matter how or why the free fall has happened.

I am hoping that I am very very wrong, but I don't see this program competing for much more than an overall .500 record next year. What really gets me is not so much the losses as the completely inconsistent play, which logically would lead a casual fan to conclude that coaching is big part of the problem. How do you lose by 40 to SFA? How do you play CSF close one game then lose by 40 to same team a few weeks later? How do you lose by tens of points to Monroe, then destroy them a few weeks later? After winning 4 sunbelt games in a row and toping if off with the blow out of then first place Monroe, how do you lose the rest of the games down the stretch, when you have momentum? How do you simply not even show up to play an elimination game that if you win gives you HOME COURT ADVANTAGE in conference tournament and a not so long-shot chance at actually playing for NCAA bid? How do you decide as a coach to go after mostly transfers first full year of recruiting and then one year later completely change strategy and start from scratch?

I will stop making statements that I admit I don't know much about and that I am mostly just ranting and raving But please someone answer my questions. BOP I very much appreciate your offer to help me out with info and I apologize for not responding very well. I will send you my email address through the private messages. I will go to the baseball games in South Florida if I am in town then.
    its not that i agree or disagree, its the fact that you've posted the same, long, convoluted post ONE MILLION TIMES! ENOUGH ALREADY, WE KNOW, YOU THINK THE TEAM AND THE COACH SUCKS, WE GET IT! PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING GOOD AND DECENT, STOP! IF I HAVE TO READ YOUR SAME POST AGAIN I SWEAR I'M GONNA CASTRATE MYSELF! STOP IT! PLEASE! MESSAGE RECEIVED!!!!!!

I have told you before that the game result at North Texas was not becasue we were not prepared or not show up. It is because the better team played to their potential.

Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst . 46 53 54 55 56 57 LastLast

Thread Information