Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 53 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2006-2007 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Struggling Ragin' Cajuns seek road win

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns
    This is bad, very bad!!!

I will be the first to say it!!!

Coach Lee is done.

How could he let Cajun Basketball get to this low!!!

I was just talking to my friend and he said remember when we could talk trash about our basketball team and how they go to the NCAA's or postseason every other year. Well we have nothing to talk about. The stands are empty, we have lost our tradition.

ULM's first year in the Belt and they are first in the west, which we usually dominant year in and year out.

This is bad very bad!!!

Time to start looking for a new coach.

Look guys I am a cajun fan until I die, But this coach is just not working out.
    No doubt you are a hardcore fan!!! You have to realize, like it or not, Lee is gonna be with us next year. Its a reality. I assume you listened on the radio?

Z.

This is bad, very bad!!!

I will be the first to say it!!!

Coach Lee is done.

How could he let Cajun Basketball get to this low!!!

I was just talking to my friend and he said remember when we could talk trash about our basketball team and how they go to the NCAA's or postseason every other year. Well we have nothing to talk about. The stands are empty, we have lost our tradition.

ULM's first year in the Belt and they are first in the west, which we usually dominant year in and year out.

This is bad very bad!!!

Time to start looking for a new coach.

man, i understand your frustration but do you realize how young we are?!? he came in late with the cyprien debacle and i think tried the quick fix with the juco's. but if its gonna be done right, i think he's doing it; build it through high school players. i think he has some good ones. i give him another two years and see how his recruits turn out. patience man. i know, sometimes it can be a real _______!

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

First, I feel your pain. Every possible counter to your point has been stated and re-stated on this board. It is very frustrating to go thru a season like this. It hasn't been our legacy in basketball. We are not used to it, and shouldn't ever get used to it. But, and it is a big but. we have to get out of the instant gratification mode and allow this team to happen. Lee has not done the damage to this program that has resulted in our rebuild. And, UL is not a "buy a coach and get instant results" school. Unless someone steps up with the seriously radical money, we are an incremental, experimental athletic program when it comes to coaching. We make aces, we do not buy them.

There is no guarantee that Lee is going to get over the hump and kick us into 20 win seasons. but, like it has been said, he will be here next year for sure. The mission he is operating under is solid. It just does not produce instant results. If something does not take hold next year, there is no doubt that specific "backers" and the admin will take action. I, personally, would like to see Coach Lee succeed, for us, and for him.

My greatest fear for UL and its sports program future is that we follow the fan mentality path that other headline top 20 fans do. beeyotch and moan non-stop. If we do not stop asking "when are they going to win" and start saying "what have I got to do to help", we are destined to take honorable mention as our best ever effort. That's what I think IMHO.

This was a tough loss.How do these guys stay motivated? I am actually depressed for these guys. When they do learn how to win, this season will be motivation to never lose again. I hope that any possible future recruits won't turn tail and run. One selling point.there's plenty of opportunity with the ragin cajuns to lead a team from the bottom up. :o

Middle Tennessee 71, La.-Lafayette 59

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) -- Kevin Kanaskie scored 18 points and Calvin O'Neil contributed 17 to help Middle Tennessee beat University of Louisiana 71-59 Saturday night.

Middle Tennessee (10-11, 6-5 Sun Belt Conference) led the Ragin' Cajuns by 27-26 at the half, but quickly pulled away from University of Louisiana in the second, scoring a total of 44 points.

The largest lead held by University of Louisiana (5-17, 3-9) was 2 points in the first half at 17:49.

Boosted by a total of 28 points in the paint during the game, the Blue Raiders led by as much as 17 in the second half.

Middle Tennessee's Kyle Young scored 10 points and grabbed 9 rebounds while Desmond Yates scored 13.

Ross Mouton was the Ragin' Cajuns highest scorer with 14 points and 8 rebounds. Elijah Millsap was close behind with 13 points and 7 rebounds.

UL Basketball Re: Struggling Ragin' Cajuns seek road win

IMHO Lee is over his head as a head coach in Div I basketball. This was obvious from the first game after he took over as head coach when he was screaming expletives that could be heard in the stands 15 rows above the UL bench.

Watch what happens to recruiting in the coming months if you still don't believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesthejeweler
    man, i understand your frustration but do you realize how young we are?!? he came in late with the cyprien debacle and i think tried the quick fix with the juco's. but if its gonna be done right, i think he's doing it; build it through high school players. i think he has some good ones. i give him another two years and see how his recruits turn out. patience man. i know, sometimes it can be a real _______!
    This young thing has to stop. 90% of college basketball teams are young. Did I expect this team to be good? NO. But I also did not expect to see this program close to its all time low.

I just hope that we don’t fall so low that it takes 15 years to rebound

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunKahouna
    IMHO Lee is over his head as a head coach in Div I basketball. This was obvious from the first game after he took over as head coach when he was screaming expletives that could be heard in the stands 15 rows above the UL bench.

Watch what happens to recruiting in the coming months if you still don't believe.
    Do we have any more room for any recruits this year? The 4 or 5 red shirts that will be eligible next year + Corey Bloom, transfer from Houston + Chris Gradnigo, one of the top 30 HS forwards in the nation.? I dont believe we have any room for additional players this year.

Anyone know for sure?

Z.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesthejeweler
    Coach Lee inherited a Sun Belt championship caliber program. In just 2 years, he has run it into the groundand then some. We are one of the worst teams in D1! Not just the Sun Belt, but in all of D1 basketball. That is just completely unacceptable! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunKahouna

As far as recruiting the Cajuns only have one more scholarship to give. I think you are in over your head in analysis of the basketball team.

This team hasn't got blown out in many games. If you've really watched this team over the year they've lost a lot of close games. This team has shown that it can hang and play not only with sunbelt teams, but SEC teams and other good teams from other conferences. Don't get me wrong, losing to McNeese and Stephen F. Austin did sting alot. But you can see the talent in this young team. This team has the potential to next year be 17-5 at this point instead of 5-17. This is not as bad of a season as the record indicates. Just looking at the record makes this season look horrible but you can see the potential for next year. I'm not ready to give up on Lee. I'll admit even I have had doubts about some of his game decisions. But for the most part he has coached his team into a position to win in almost every game. But stupid turnovers and just plain freshman mistakes have cost us to come up short in all of those games. Do you realize how many games this year we could have won if we had only shot better from the free throw line? These kids need more practice and better fundamentals and the record will take care of itself. This season is really not as bleak as some people think.

And the stands are not empty. They aren't as crowded as they have been in past years, but for our 5-17 record, there is still a good chunk of people attending those games. And those are the people who (like me) can see past this year's record and are just waiting for this team to turn the corner. The potential is there, I guarantee you that.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns67
    This young thing has to stop. 90% of college basketball teams are young. Did I expect this team to be good? NO. But I also did not expect to see this program close to its all time low.

I just hope that we don’t fall so low that it takes 15 years to rebound
    I'm a fair weather basketball fan no doubt about it. I will watch bad football but not bad basketball. For you guys that love the game and have watched this team closely, is this our worst start ever?

I hope Coach Lee is emphasizing this info to the players. If he's looking for motivation, this is it.

"CajunBlog: Road could be where Cajuns’ hoop season ends
    Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Four weeks remain before the play-in games for the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, and it would take a minor miracle for UL’s men to avoid a road trip for that game. Given the Cajuns’ road struggles, amplified in Saturday’s loss at Middle Tennessee, that’s not a good thing.
    The Cajun men lost their 12th straight road game Saturday and did it in ugly fashion, losing to 71-59 to a Middle Tennessee team that hadn’t won at home this year and one that had a losing overall record.

ADVERTISEMENT

The loss puts UL at 3-9 in league play, and that ranks the Cajuns 12th out of 13 league teams ahead of only Denver (2-9), and finishing that low is tantamount to a road sentence in the new alignment for the conference tournament.

The winner of each division and the second-place team with the best league record draw byes in the first round of the Sun Belt Tournament, and the fourth through eighth teams in the combined standings host the ninth through 13th teams at campus sites in the first-round game. Those five winners advance to the Cajundome to join the three bye teams in the March 4 quarterfinals.

For UL to get to the magic eighth spot and get a first-round home game, the Cajuns will have to turn around a 3-5 January and win at least four and maybe even five of their six remaining conference games.

That’s doable, with three home games and road contests at the two teams — Denver and Florida International — that currently sit at the bottom of the division standings. But after road losses at Florida Atlantic and Middle last week, it’ll take a big turnaround.

If that doesn’t happen, given what’s taken place on the road this year, it’s very likely the Cajuns won’t make a tournament appearance on its own home court"

13. UL Basketball Re: Struggling Ragin' Cajuns seek road win

I may be totally off in my assesment but this is what I see this year.

14. In games that UL is supposed to have no chance in, they are very competitive.

15. in games that UL is supposed to win easily, we seem to lose.

Now assuming for just a second there is an ounce of truth to what I percieve . . .

Are they playing loose and just having fun in the games we are supposed to lose?Are they more focused in games without expectations?

Are they playing uptight and thinking too much in games we are supposed to win? Are they relaxing too much in the expected to win games?

I suspect the answer is yes to the first questions of each type game.

I also ask the questions in part becasue it seems that as soon as the game gets down to the wire and it becomes obvious the cajuns are in it, something goes wrong. This tells me it is mental not lack of talent.

Like I said I may be totally off in the big picture.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I may be totally off in my assesment but this is what I see this year.

17. In games that UL is supposed to have no chance in, they are very competitive.

18. in games that UL is supposed to win easily, we seem to lose.

Now assuming for just a second there is an ounce of truth to what I percieve . . .

Are they playing loose and just having fun in the games we are supposed to lose?Are they more focused in games without expectations?

Are they playing uptight and thinking too much in games we are supposed to win? Are they relaxing too much in the expected to win games?

I suspect the answer is yes to the first questions of each type game.

I also ask the questions in part becasue it seems that as soon as the game gets down to the wire and it becomes obvious the cajuns are in it, something goes wrong. This tells me it is mental not lack of talent.

Like I said I may be totally off in the big picture.

jmo
  19. I think you're right on.They have won a little more this month and if the coaches motivate them like they should, they should continue to progress. If the team doesn't start to finish some of these games, then the players minds are not in the game. I'm with you Turbine, they have the skill and talent to win some of these games. Crunch time is here for the S.B. tournament.I believe now is the time to see what the coaches can do; the players have had plenty of game time experience.

20. Default Re: Struggling Ragin' Cajuns seek road win

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    This team hasn't got blown out in many games. If you've really watched this team over the year they've lost a lot of close games. This team has shown that it can hang and play not only with sunbelt teams, but SEC teams and other good teams from other conferences. Don't get me wrong, losing to McNeese and Stephen F. Austin did sting alot. But you can see the talent in this young team. This team has the potential to next year be 17-5 at this point instead of 5-17. This is not as bad of a season as the record indicates. Just looking at the record makes this season look horrible but you can see the potential for next year. I'm not ready to give up on Lee. I'll admit even I have had doubts about some of his game decisions. But for the most part he has coached his team into a position to win in almost every game. But stupid turnovers and just plain freshman mistakes have cost us to come up short in all of those games. Do you realize how many games this year we could have won if we had only shot better from the free throw line? These kids need more practice and better fundamentals and the record will take care of itself. This season is really not as bleak as some people think.

And the stands are not empty. They aren't as crowded as they have been in past years, but for our 5-17 record, there is still a good chunk of people attending those games. And those are the people who (like me) can see past this year's record and are just waiting for this team to turn the corner. The potential is there, I guarantee you that.
    Cajuns have in just two years gone from a mid major powerhouse to one of the worst teams in D1 nationwide, a team that has no chance of competing for even .500 record in the lowly sunbelt (conference in basketball has become a lot worse in recent years). Sure, there is potential for improvement in the next year or two - perhaps a .500 sunbelt record.

What has happened to Cajuns basketball? Lee has to go He is in over his head and results are results. Can't change the facts. Many many losses just don't add up to only this being a young team. A rebuilding year for Cajuns should be at least .500 in sunbelt, especially if the youngsters are as talented as we all like to think. It is either a recruiting problem or a coaching problem or both. Rebuilding years just don't equal 5 win seasons, especially in the lowly of lowlies sunbelt.

Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 53 . LastLast

Thread Information