Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2006-2007 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Basketball team next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    I'm very interested in seeing how Coach Lee handles the loss of Mitchell, Southall, and Cameron but its been talked about on here before that he has been out recruiting hard and hopefully it pays off.

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee
    I would much rather have Barksdale or Hebert starting next year with their experience. They are both giving valuable minutes this season.

Your absolutely right.and they probably will! However, if Cooke is as good as he is hyped to be.you can't deny the talent!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee
    I would much rather have Barksdale or Hebert starting next year with their experience. They are both giving valuable minutes this season.

Marquie Cooke 6'3" 205lbs. Guard:

(Photo): http://csurams.collegesports.com/spo.marquie00.html

"Cooke, a native of Suffolk, Va., and graduate of Nansemond River High School, was a three-year starter and AP all-state selection as a junior and senior. He averaged 26.1 points, 9.6 assists and 6.3 rebounds per game as a senior and was ranked as the No. 57 player (No. 11 point guard) in the nation coming out of the prep ranks."

See: http://csurams.collegesports.com/spo.082305aab.html

Default Re: Basketball team next year?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginEsquire06

Mouton plays with great hustle.a good defender, but is very limited as a scorer and is often out manned by players who are more athletic than he is! You can even say the same about J.T. Fields.just add kinda weak physically to that category. V. Hart, is not very tuff on the boards and is very limited as a scorer.I just see him get bullied way too much!
    If you think Mouton and Hart are limited scorers perhaps you should take a closer look at Turner's stats:

34.5% FG ; 26.7% 3pt FG and 60.4% FT

'limited' isn't the word I would choose.

http://www.ragincajuns.com/Basketbal.6/Teamcume.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I have no insight but why would he be allowed to play 9 and 13 minutes the last 2 games respectively and not be brought back the next year?
    Turner's on-court demeanor and attitude remind me of the "old" Michael Southall. I don't know if that is enough justification for him to not be brought back next season.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz
    If you think Mouton and Hart are limited scorers perhaps you should take a closer look at Turner's stats:

"limited" is the word of "My" choice because it is exactly what "I" meant! To enlighten "you" Mr. Nutz as to why "I" believe that both of the players mentioned above are "limited" in there abilities as "Scorers" is based simply on the fact that they both do not possess a complex ability to create scoring opportunities from different methods of attacking the basket. Mouton seems to be most comfortable when taking his shots from beyond the perimeter.very rarely have I seen Mouton attack the basket off of the dribble while a defender is contesting him, and I have not seen Mouton engage in many short range jump shots.However, I have seen Mouton dunk or complete a lay-up on the end of a fast break.but not often by driving to the basket in a crowd of defenders. As for V. Hart.I don't even think that he was recruited for has scoring abilities! All you have to do is look at his average points scored per game, it should give you an indication as to what type strengths this player brings to the team. As far as E. Turners stats.who gives a "d@mn!" The purpose of my statement revolves around a players ability, or in some cases, lack of ability to score points! And if your gonna make an inference that E. Turner is not a legitimate scoring threat.well, I can't entertain that!

My starting 5 next year with what we know we will have would be.

PG - Cooke
    SG - Dees
    F - Mouton
    F - Fields
    F - Hart

If Spencer Ford is back on the team I would add him into the starting lineup instead of Fields.

Also I think the bench will be fairly strong next year with.
    - Pesoli having an extra year to become better. He was expected to do a lot more this year but I think sitting out last year and really getting use to the level of basketball we play hurt him but I think he will be a good one in the future
    - Forrest he might be a freshmen but I have liked what I have heard about him so far
    - Gary will also be a freshmen but I think he will be able to make a contribution off the bench
    - Barksdale, Darragh, and Hebert will all be able to give good minutes at the point off the bench and for that first month of the season untill Cooke is eligible.
    - Derek Grey might also be back next year and I like the potential and if he can fulfill that potential he could be another big contributer to the team next season.
    - As much I like Adam James because of his heart and fight on the court I think he will still be a guy to count on for minutes off of the bench. I just don't see him as a viable option in the starting lineup but who knows what will happen with him in the next year to change my mind.

We need to add a JUCO big man who can play right away and maybe a high school big man that we can develope.
    I agree with your entire post, I too would like to see a JC big man come in and Ford return so that 2 of the 3 forwards you have starting can come off of the bench. No way James starts but also no way he does not see minutes next year.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampHound
    I agree with your entire post, I too would like to see a JC big man come in and Ford return so that 2 of the 3 forwards you have starting can come off of the bench. No way James starts but also no way he does not see minutes next year.
    Glad someone finally agree with me

Glad someone finally agree with me

It's always great to be in accord with others regarding beliefs.but if your trying to win championships.I think its more practical to be honest! And in my "honest " opinion.unfortunately, a starting lineup which includes Mouton, Fields, and Hart is not gonna get it done! Kid yourself if you want to!

Quote Originally Posted by nutz

FRANKLY. ALL THREE ARE WEAK! If we have dreams of getting to the level of teams like Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois, none of those three will help. To get to the heart of it, consider this: which of our returning players would ANY quality mid-major or major program come after to get to transfer to their team? (If you are not sure. the answer is "none"!)

11. Default Re: Basketball team next year?

I can foresee Mouton becoming a 3-point threat. IF he improves in the off season the same as he improved the past few weeks.

A balanced threat is always key to success.

jmo

The biggest problem I see with this team and next years as well was that Jesse Evans depended so much on transfers and JUCO guys. You can't build a solid program with JUCO guys because they are here and then gone. When you get high school guys you have enough time with them to develope them and get them to buy into what your doing. I think Coach Lee goes after high school guys first but last year when thoughs high schoolers decided to go else where he was forced to go after the JUCO guys. I think Coach Lee has shown by signing Damon Forrest and LaRyan Gary that he will go after the high school guys first which I like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginEsquire06
    Let us in on "YOUR" secret! What is the premises behind this statement? Why would a coach let a player go who has so much talent? In my opinion.out of all the players left on the team after the departure of Mike S., Chris C., and Dwayne M.the core unit of players "MUST" consist of Turner, Mouton, Barksdale, Fields, Hart and Adams! Too much time regarding player development and team continuity has been invested in this core group of players. Logically, if you start chopping away at the cog's of this foundation, you stand the risk of having the same problems next season, regarding the cohesiveness of the players as a functioning, viable unit, as well as the "lack" of understanding regarding the coaching philosophy emphasised as to what it takes to be successful in the SunBelt. :confused:

Well stated Esquire.

UL Basketball Re: Basketball team next year?

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    Well stated Esquire.
    Mouton, has improved since his freshman year. He is a long lanky player who needs to drill on quickness expecially in his legs. I would recommend a lot more time in the weight room. His whole body needs to improve but as almost all sports your legs are what count the most. He really needs to work the lower body, calves and theighs. I think he will do some of this and we will se a player who we hoped for next year.

He ain't doing to bad right now. With quicker perimeter players around him, I think you will see him have a better time defending next season.

All should remembe this, I my team, and coaches. I do not pretend to have an unbiased opinion, I AM A FAN as in Fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I can foresee Mouton becoming a 3-point threat. IF he improves in the off season the same as he improved the past few weeks.

A balanced threat is always key to success.

jmo

I have no reason to dislike Mouton, as I think he is a good kid. But don't lose siight of the fact that he can ONLY make threes (or any other shot for that matter) when he is WIDE open. If he is guarded, he cannot create a shot for himself off of the dribble, so his value is VERY limited. Add to that the fact that he lacks quickness, so can't guard a player who HAS quickness.

Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread Information