Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst . 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2006-2007 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Inbound the ball !!

Hey round ball fansthere are some very nice pictures of the game posted on the Vol's basketball website! Adam James, Dees, Mouton and Wallace are all included! Very Nice.Follow the link below and click on the "photo gallery."

Visit: http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-ba.112706aaa.html

2. UL Basketball Nevada's experience prevails

When experience battles inexperience, it's usually not much of a battle.

UL's basketball squad made it a battle into the second half, but eventually Nevada's experience - and Marcelus Kemp and Nick Fazekas - were too much to handle.

The 24th-ranked and undefeated Wolf Pack used a 16-2 run midway through the second half to break open a close contest, and eventually prevailed in an 86-74 decision over the Ragin' Cajuns.

UL (1-5) dropped its fifth straight contest, and for the fifth time the Cajuns kept a favored opponent within range. This time, though, the Wolf Pack (5-0) was simply too deep and too talented.

"They've got a lot deeper team than we do," said Cajun coach Robert Lee. "They've been to the NCAA Tournament and they've been 23-5 on the road the last two years. They're just better than we are right now."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Nevada's experience prevails

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    Both the Nevada and Tennessee coaches had praise for the Cajuns after the game. All we seem to need is more experience. Now we're getting it against quality opponents. We are about to turn the proverbial corner, and start winning some games. Great effort (again), Cajuns! Keep it up and correct the mistakes.

I don't think I've ever been more optimistic about the future of a program when that team was sporting a 1-5 record. I love the way this team plays and the way the coaches coach. I would much prefer being 1-5 against the teams we have played, than being 5-1 against poor competition. The competition the Cajuns have played in these last 5 games is forcing them to grow up in a hurry. I am amazed at the progress that has been made since the first game of the season. Had coach Lee played a weak schedule (as has been done many times in the past) with this team and they happened to have won 5 instead of lost 5, I think these kids may have been fooled into thinking that they were better than they are. Now, because of the scheduling, they know they have to continue to work and play hard every day in order to win. I think that kind of hard work will payoff when conference play begins

UL Basketball Re: Nevada's experience prevails

I think the most positive point about the Nevada game is watching another Freshman come out of his shell. Courtney Wallace is going to be awsome! He's got a soft 10-12 foot jumper and he can bang under the boards. He could be a great player if he gets more aggressive and confident. i.e. Ross Mouton. I would love to see Coach Lee start to run more perimeter screens for Ross and David, those screens will result in some nice rolls for Val and Courtney. Stephen Dees didn't look that bad at point, maybe he should be backing up Rhett instead of Lego. One more thing.Adam James needs to keep his head up; he's really not that bad when he's under the boards, but he's fumbling all over the place. The guy needs a confidence boost. The future looks very bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35
    I don't think I've ever been more optimistic about the future of a program when that team was sporting a 1-5 record. I love the way this team plays and the way the coaches coach. I would much prefer being 1-5 against the teams we have played, than being 5-1 against poor competition. The competition the Cajuns have played in these last 5 games is forcing them to grow up in a hurry. I am amazed at the progress that has been made since the first game of the season. Had coach Lee played a weak schedule (as has been done many times in the past) with this team and they happened to have won 5 instead of lost 5, I think these kids may have been fooled into thinking that they were better than they are. Now, because of the scheduling, they know they have to continue to work and play hard every day in order to win. I think that kind of hard work will payoff when conference play begins
    I could not have stated it any better, because that happens to be my exact same opinion. We will be very dangerous when conference play rolls around. Mark my words

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat
    I think the most positive point about the Nevada game is watching another Freshman come out of his shell. Courtney Wallace is going to be awsome! He's got a soft 10-12 foot jumper and he can bang under the boards. He could be a great player if he gets more aggressive and confident. i.e. Ross Mouton. I would love to see Coach Lee start to run more perimeter screens for Ross and David, those screens will result in some nice rolls for Val and Courtney. Stephen Dees didn't look that bad at point, maybe he should be backing up Rhett instead of Lego. One more thing.Adam James needs to keep his head up; he's really not that bad when he's under the boards, but he's fumbling all over the place. The guy needs a confidence boost. The future looks very bright.
    Well put. In addition, don't you think that over the past couple of games, Valentino Heart has looked awfully similar to Brian Hamilton? If Val continues to play at that level, if the freshman continue to grow and gain confidence, and if the team remains positive, this Cajun squad could be very dangerous come season's end. Maybe the Cajuns will be playing in the dome for a SBC championship! I like this team, A LOT. GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlove
    Well put. In addition, dont you think that over the past couple of games Valentino Heart has looked awfully similar to Brian Hamilton?
    I was thinking the exact same thing last night. He has been getting better with every game.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    Both the Nevada and Tennessee coaches had praise for the Cajuns after the game. All we seem to need is more experience. Now we're getting it against quality opponents. We are about to turn the proverbial corner, and start winning some games. Great effort (again), Cajuns! Keep it up and correct the mistakes.

I didn't get to hear or read any comments from the opposing coaches, but could you tell the difference in which team had class and confidence??

Nevada stayed poised the entire game and never let the crowd get to them.
    Coach Mark Fox was a class act! They acted like a Top 25 team.

Tennessee's coach stomped up and down on the sideline. Consistantly stayed on the court.along with his assistant that didn't know how to tie a tie. He even threw off his jacket at one pointto show off his gay-orange-suspenders!!

I hope Nevada comes back to the Cajundome again!!

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    I could not have stated it any better, because that happens to be my exact same opinion. We will be very dangerous when conference play rolls around. Mark my words

God Bless

GEAUX UL RAGIN CAJUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Easy schedule, best case we have 6 wins right now, obviously, but unlikely. but, come conference, we would get taught a lesson.

This schedule, one win, five hard fought losses, against really good teams, and will be more than battle tested come conference time.

You know, last night was the first game i got to listen to, and plan on walking over on saturday night. But after the game last night, I listened to Coach Lee's show. A lot of people have given him flack for where the team was when the seaosn started. I think a good share of them are realizing that they may have been wrong, but the jury is still out on that. there are a few things that we should look at with regards to RL. The first is his passion. When they win, he is as high as a kite, when they lose, or go through tough spots (like the beginning of last year), he is lower than dirt. you could definitely hear it in his voice last year when the team was going so poorly. he loves his job, his school, his town, etc. and it is his main goal to represent those things as best as he can. He expects things done his way and has seemingly found players that he thinks will comply.

Secondly, his teaching. At least every game, there has been one negative statistic that stood out. The first game was turnovers. They have corrected that and only had 11 last night. CSF, i think, they got pounded on the boards and were -20 or something in the rebounding margin. The next game, Hart grabs 18 and last night they were even in the rebounding game at 31-31, with the other team having an 6'11 all american F/C. towards the end of the first half, when they took the lead by two, then cam out of the TO and went down by 4 really quick, Jay said Lee slammed his clipboard down to the ground, vented and got in their faces for a few seconds, then got his board and went back to teaching. RL knows what he is doing and I think if we just trust him, we will feel fortunate to have him in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNJUDO
    I didn't get to hear or read any comments from the opposing coaches, but could you tell the difference in which team had class and confidence??

Nevada stayed poised the entire game and never let the crowd get to them.
    Coach Mark Fox was a class act! They acted like a Top 25 team.

Tennessee's coach stomped up and down on the sideline. Consistantly stayed on the court.along with his assistant that didn't know how to tie a tie. He even threw off his jacket at one pointto show off his gay-orange-suspenders!!

I hope Nevada comes back to the Cajundome again!!
    Coach Pearl (UT) is quite animated on the sidelines!!! However, in the post-game interview and in the taped half-time interview, he said some very nice, very positive things about UL. (I watched the whole game on TV.) As the former coach at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, he said he understood the position UL was in and the value to UL in having a team from a major conference come in to Lafayette. He said he would continue to travel to "mid-majors". Personally, I came away impressed with him. I didn't see any of the Nevada game. I just read the news reports. Their coach also said good things about us. I hope they BOTH come back for another game!

rhineaux's Avatar rhineaux is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    Coach Pearl (UT) is quite animated on the sidelines!!! However, in the post-game interview and in the taped half-time interview, he said some very nice, very positive things about UL. (I watched the whole game on TV.) As the former coach at Wisconsin-Milwaukee, he said he understood the position UL was in and the value to UL in having a team from a major conference come in to Lafayette. He said he would continue to travel to "mid-majors". Personally, I came away impressed with him. I didn't see any of the Nevada game. I just read the news reports. Their coach also said good things about us. I hope they BOTH come back for another game!
    I remember when Pearl made that run in the tournament a few years ago, he was always pulling ____ like that, getting all hyper and spastic. Its humorous.

UL Basketball UL Basketball Recruiting 07

Was talking to a guy today and we were going over who was seniors this year and talking about next year's scholarships.

We lose 1 scholarship to APR next year which will leave us with 12
    We have 3 seniors this year.

The guy that I was going over all of this with, named the players that would be on scholarship (if they all qualified next year) and came up with a total of 12.

This does not include the walk ons.

The result of all this is that we may not have any scholarships to offer anyone this coming recruiting season. Uh Oh.

Default Re: UL Basketball Recruiting 07

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    Was talking to a guy today and we were going over who was seniors this year and talking about next year's scholarships.

We lose 1 scholarship to APR next year which will leave us with 12
    We have 3 seniors this year.

The guy that I was going over all of this with, named the players that would be on scholarship (if they all qualified next year) and came up with a total of 12.

This does not include the walk ons.

The result of all this is that we may not have any scholarships to offer anyone this coming recruiting season. Uh Oh.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are taking the APR scholarship hit this year and should have 13 scholarships next year. We will recruit a big man in the spring as we have no choice but to fill that position. If Adam James returns next year (he may get a fifth year), he probably won't be on scholarship. Here is my guess at next year's roster.

David Dees
    Courtney Wallace
    Tyren Johnson
    Willie Lago
    Aubrey Milson
    Derek Gray
    Elijah Milsap
    Brandon Dison
    Damon Forrest
    LaRyan Gary
    Darrel Daigle
    Corey Bloom Houston Transfer
    Chris Gradnigo-Early Signing Period Signee
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Spring Signee-No. 14.

Walkons-Rhett Hebert and Stephen Dees.

I edited this post to add Corey Bloom's name.

Notice how many new guys we will have next year. One of the guys sitting out due to academics may not come back in order for us to sign a big man. We need Milsap to play this year to give us one more experienced player next year.

Default Re: UL Basketball Recruiting 07

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we are taking the APR scholarship hit this year and should have 13 scholarships next year. We will recruit a big man in the spring as we have no choice but to fill that position. If Adam James returns next year (he may get a fifth year), he probably won't be on scholarship. Here is my guess at next year's roster.

David Dees
    Courtney Wallace
    Tyren Johnson
    Willie Lago
    Aubrey Milson
    Derek Gray
    Elijah Milsap
    Brandon Dison
    Damon Forrest
    LaRyan Gary
    Daigle
    Ronnie Grandigo-Early Signing Period Signee
    Spring Signee

Walkons-Rhett Hebert and Stephen Dees.
    Well you may be right but he's a pretty reliable and close source and he said we take the hit this coming year. But we'll just wait and see. If we do get one scholarship, then how important is it that we use it on the perfect freshman who can start for us for at least 3 of his 4 years? Very Very Very important. You've got one guy to focus on.Make sure he's talented, and make sure he's eligible.

Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst . 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 . LastLast

Thread Information