Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst . 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 . LastLast

Thread: The Book: 2006-2007 Ragin' Cajuns Basketball

1. UL Basketball Inbound the ball !!

Man, what a game. The team with the most class was obviously the one wearing white tonight but unfortunately, they weren't able to inbound the ball. If Coach Lee doesn't work on that, we will not be able to get over the hump and win one of these close games.
    Great effort overall though. Let's play better against Nevada !

Default Re: Tenn@UL Game Info, Predictions, & Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Absolutely.

18 rebounds for V-Hart
    Really? Wow! I knew he was having a good game, but didn't realize it was that good. He also contributed with points, mostly in the first half. Outstanding game from Hart. Also, Mouton, Hebert and Dees. Way too many turnovers which led to way too many easy buckets (or fouls) for the Vols. We really need to work on executing against the pressure defense. Perry Clark (ex-Tulane coach) was the analyst on FSN and he commented on the poor spacing the Cajuns had in trying to beat the press. He said it gave the in-bounds passer very little space to pass into. I also thought too many passes were kind of lazy lobs instead of crisp bounce passes. But overall a good effort (again!) by the players. A nice run in the 2nd half put pressure on UT. The Vols responded at the end, the Cajuns did not. Good game, bad result. It looks to be that kind of year. However, I think we will win a decent number of games if they keep playing with this level of effort and make improvements in their ball-handling skills.

Default Re: A great game against the Vols.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    I see this team getting better and better.
    I am liking what I saw tonight! It is still a work in progress and has a bit (OK, a lot!) of rough edges. But I like the work ethic and gutty quality this team has. If they could attack the press effectively instead of looking tentative and lost. it would have been a much different game, perhaps with a different outcome. They also need to work on defensive blocking out on the backside. Too many offensive rebounds given up. And, of course, too many turnovers. I thought the Cajuns played pretty good defense and ran the offense well for the most part. Hitting a few clutch shots in the final 2 minutes would've helped, too. Once we cut the lead to 2, we couldn't seem to buy a basket. I thought most of the shots taken down the stretch were decent shots. We just didn't hit them. Good game, Cajuns! Seemed to be a decent crowd, too. The crowd noise was very noticeable on TV and the commentators talked about it. They also said it was a good win for the Vols: on the road in a difficult place to play, with the crowd getting into it, and the Cajuns putting pressure on them to have to make plays in order to win.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    I am liking what I saw tonight! It is still a work in progress and has a bit (OK, a lot!) of rough edges. But I like the work ethic and gutty quality this team has. If they could attack the press effectively instead of looking tentative and lost. it would have been a much different game, perhaps with a different outcome. They also need to work on defensive blocking out on the backside. Too many offensive rebounds given up. And, of course, too many turnovers. I thought the Cajuns played pretty good defense and ran the offense well for the most part. Hitting a few clutch shots in the final 2 minutes would've helped, too. Once we cut the lead to 2, we couldn't seem to buy a basket. I thought most of the shots taken down the stretch were decent shots. We just didn't hit them. Good game, Cajuns! Seemed to be a decent crowd, too. The crowd noise was very noticeable on TV and the commentators talked about it. They also said it was a good win for the Vols: on the road in a difficult place to play, with the crowd getting into it, and the Cajuns putting pressure on them to have to make plays in order to win.
    The team seems to improve with each game. Tonight, we were outclassed with talent and we still took Tenessee down to the wire (well, almost the wire). Everytime we made a run, Lofton would drain a 3, even with a hand in his face. He's the real deal. Our defense at crucial junctures needs to improve.

I was glad to see several Cajuns in double figures and Hart grabbing 18 boards. If this team can play with similar intensity in conference play, the other Sun Belt schools are in trouble. If they can add some extra focus to that intensity.well.good things will hapen. GEAUX CAJUNS. Beat Nevada

5. UL Basketball Re: Tenn@UL Game Info, Predictions, & Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LatvianCajun
    Cajun Dome sounds real loud!
    It was. There were twice as many people there as usual. The student sections were full. It was great. And although we didn't win, we did pretty damn good against a good team. A cocky team, but good non-the-less. As the players were leaving, one of the vols. was holding up the TENNESSEE portion of his shirt, taunting us in the band. We let it go though, we were talking about their mommas through out the game.

6. UL Basketball Re: Tenn@UL Game Info, Predictions, & Posts

I was hoping Dees could have another night like he had against Fullerton. We would have won going away. I saw a few guys from LSU at the game I think they were scouting the Vols.

7. UL Basketball Vols edge Cajuns

Another moral victory, but another loss for UL's Ragin' Cajun basketball team.

And, another instance of the Cajuns digging themselves an early hole.

This time, though, UL can point at the reason for the early deficit, one that gave Tennessee's Volunteers enough room to take a 77-67 victory Monday at the Cajundome. That reason was Chris Lofton.

Tennessee's junior guard gunned in 31 points, including hitting seven-of-11 shots from three-point range, and personally put Monday's game on his back in the final seven minutes.

No other Volunteer had a field goal in the final 10 minutes, and none needed to as Lofton hit a series of big shots to help hold off a hard charge by the host Cajuns - a charge that, just like its recent games against Oral Roberts and Cal State Fullerton, fell short.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

8. UL Basketball Lofton pulls high numbers in Tennessee victory

LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) -- Chris Lofton scored 31 points, including seven 3-point baskets, to lead Tennessee to a 77-67 win over Louisiana-Lafayette Monday night.

Lofton had three straight baskets for the Volunteers (5-2) in a five-minute period late in the second half, helping UT hold on after the Ragin' Cajuns (1-4) had whittled as much as a 17-point deficit down to two points with 4:24 left on an Adam James free throw.

Lofton hit his seventh and final 3-pointer 30 seconds later and Tennessee led by at least five points the rest of the way. JaJuan Smith added 11 points for Tennessee, which snapped a three-game losing streak.

Ross Mouton had 22 points to lead four double-figure scorers for the Cajuns, who lost their fourth straight game. David Dees added 18 points, Rhett Hebert 12 and Valentino Hart 10 along with a game-high 16 rebounds.

The rest of the story

ESPN.com

UL Basketball Re: Vols edge Cajuns

WOW! What a game!

If the team keeps up with the hustle and the quality, unselfish and dedicated play I witnessed last night, Robert Lee will make a convert out of me for sure!

The creaux is in the oven. I sure hope it ain't too tough!

Oh, and by the way for all you "pepper haters, Cayenne was there last night too. :P

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlove
    The team seems to improve with each game. Tonight, we were outclassed with talent and we still took Tenessee down to the wire (well, almost the wire). Everytime we made a run, Lofton would drain a 3, even with a hand in his face. He's the real deal. Our defense at crucial junctures needs to improve.

I was glad to see several Cajuns in double figures and Hart grabbing 18 boards. If this team can play with similar intensity in conference play, the other Sun Belt schools are in trouble. If they can add some extra focus to that intensity.well.good things will hapen. GEAUX CAJUNS. Beat Nevada
    Our guys must be in real good physical shape. The Vols have depth ane they used it. The Cajuns basically played with seven, but did not seem to lose a step.

They are coming on, and I am going to be there to watch them turn the corner!!

I am very much encouraged with the direction that Coach Lee has this program headed. I am not expecting any miracles, but it is clear that a solid foundation is being layed. As long as our guys continue to play with the effort and intensity they have given so far this season, I think we will be pleasently surprised at how things may go when we get into conference play. If V. Hart continues to hit the boards like he did last night and we can find another consistant 8 - 12 point scorer, this team has a chance to make some noise in the Sun belt!

UL Basketball Re: A great game against the Vols.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    I see this team getting better and better.
    Yep you are right, down by 17 and fought real hard to get it to a single three point field goal, but alas no brass ring. Coach Lee has the core of a very good team. This year will be a lot better than many thought prior to the start of the season. No wins against 1A teams yet, and our best shot will be Saturday against LTU if we cannot upset Nevada. No matter, I think we need to continue to back the team and that always involves a little glass of Kool-Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35
    I am very much encouraged with the direction that Coach Lee has this program headed. I am not expecting any miracles, but it is clear that a solid foundation is being layed. As long as our guys continue to play with the effort and intensity they have given so far this season, I think we will be pleasently surprised at how things may go when we get into conference play. If V. Hart continues to hit the boards like he did last night and we can find another consistant 8 - 12 point scorer, this team has a chance to make some noise in the Sun belt!
    You do realize 5 of 8 recruits are not on the team due to grade issues of one sort or another. Now if Jesse had the same situation I can just recall some of the jeers. No matter, Robert took the bitter pill and took a lot of freshman. I think we will eventually get all of them, and the foundation is set for next year, and every year after that.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie
    Our guys must be in real good physical shape. The Vols have depth ane they used it. The Cajuns basically played with seven, but did not seem to lose a step.

They are coming on, and I am going to be there to watch them turn the corner!!
    I don't know how many hit the floor, but in pre game warm ups they had 15, yes more suited up than are allowed on scholarships. I guess you can have as many on the team and travel squad as you like, just without a scholarship.

Default Re: Vols edge Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by CajunKahouna
    WOW! What a game!

If the team keeps up with the hustle and the quality, unselfish and dedicated play I witnessed last night, Robert Lee will make a convert out of me for sure!

The creaux is in the oven. I sure hope it ain't too tough!

Oh, and by the way for all you "pepper haters, Cayenne was there last night too. :P
    That made me smile.Not much has done that today.

Page 23 of 57 FirstFirst . 13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 33 . LastLast

Thread Information